108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server rename

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Flanagan_2
Occasional Contributor

Server rename

When I rename a W2K server that was in CIM, it tends to have a difficult time registering itself within CIM w\ the new name, it just seems to hold onto the old server name.
DNS entries have been checked along w\ reverse lookup names and they look good, as in old entries are gone.
I've had to go as far as uninstalling CIM agents, reinstalling CIM agents, removing all servers from the database, rebooting the CIM SQL server, then allow it to rediscover all the devices.
When I've tried to just delete the old server name from the DB, CIM doesn't seem to want to automatically discover that IP address since I explicitly deleted it.

Any ideas or other techniques I could try next time?
2 REPLIES 2
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

I'll take a stab at this...
Two things.
First: Try adding the server manually (vs. autodiscovery)...while doing this you can "lock" the name and machine type to the device...while providing the IP address.
After doing that...go to the Tasks page and run the Daily Identification Task.

If that doesn't do it...try the second idea.
Create a host file with the server name and the ip address. You can use the IM 7 Host file template if you like. Then manually add the server by utilizing the host file.
Good luck,
Ed
Gene Nordahl
Valued Contributor
Solution

What's worked for me is to delete the sever out of IM. Log into the IM server itself flush the dns cache (ipconfig /flushdns), and do a nbtstat -R. Once that is done ping the server. Once you are able to ping, and reverse ping the server with the new name, and the ping doesn't work with the old name you should be able to manually add the server back in.

I've also had this issue when a server gets a new IP.