Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752794 Members
6632 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can not use the Virtual KVM/Media viewer (Lights-Out 100 card on ProLiant ML115)

Florian Schott
Advisor

Re: Can not use the Virtual KVM/Media viewer (Lights-Out 100 card on ProLiant ML115)

Hm, when I try to connect to the Virtual KVM/Media viewer (remote desktop) the Java applet constantly gives me a time-out error (see attachment). Funny but even using the extracted mahogany.jars provided earlier I am getting the same error.

When I am within the LAN with the same laptop the remote desktop applet works perfectly. This time-out error only occurs when I try to access over the internet. I am forwarding ports 23, 80, 443, 623, 664, 5900-5909 TCP and UPD. I have tried two different routers, iLO firmware version 3.11 and 3.2. I am running out of ideas.

Who can help?
Florian Schott
Advisor

Re: Can not use the Virtual KVM/Media viewer (Lights-Out 100 card on ProLiant ML115)

Update on how to run Virtual KVM/Media view (remote desktop) separately in case the java applet does not run within webbrowsers (paths from Mac OS X)

1. Find out download link:
a) Start web applet http:///kvms.html in Firefox
b) Go to jar folder in java cache (~/Library/Caches/Java/cache/javapi/v1.0/jar)
c) Find latest applet files and open idx file (e.g. M2.JAR-2001b0b8-12515ce5.idx)
d) Open in text editor and copy download link at the very beginning of the file

2. Download applet

3. Start applet (upon doubleclick, in OS X mine is opened automatically by /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands/java). A login window should pop up.

4. As server, enter plain remote IP address ((dyndns) domain does not work) - you can find it out by opening the .hst-file in the jar folder with a text editor. User name and password are from your ILO card.

5. "Enjoy" an extremely slow remote desktop session.

I attached the KVM applet "Remote Console Client for Java Version 2.0.0 (build 10801)" from Firmware 3.20 of my ILO Card (445513-B21).

Hope this saves you the several weeks hassle isolating the problem I went through. HP support was not helpful at all pointing at router configuration, operating system ("We don't support Mac!"), or browser - Problem occurred on MAC/PC/Linux any browser and two routers I tried (all in German).
Florian Schott
Advisor

Update:

You can skip downloading the jar file (step 2). Just rename the suffix of the zip file in the jar folder to .jar and launch it. This is the KVM remote desktop applet.

My wish list:
- HP, please make the applet just run within the browser under all conditions! Could this be a location issue (German)?
- HP, please make the performace of the applet anything like teamviewer, ultravnc or jollyfastvnc! Even with 6/32 mbit dsl this is hardly usable for support.
Allen Crist
Advisor

I tried Steve's method (Downloaded his files). I get the remote KVM/Media client java window, but when I put in the ILO's ip, my username and password and click Ok, I get "connection timed out'.

Also, can anyone tell me how you got around the issues downloading the mahogany.jar from the ILO? I am wondering if this one is a different firmware and I may need to dl from my server.

Any suggestions?

Allen Crist
Advisor

Here is what finally got mine working:

reboot iLO

ssh to iLO and then issue the following in the CLI.

cd /map1
reset
siraka

I was using IE11 (version 11.0.9600.17501, update versions 11.0.15 (KB3008923)), and Chrome (version 39.0.2171.95 m). Both were failed to open LO100 of my server.

Even I was unable to download [mahogany.jar] from LO100 (http://my-LO-100-ip-address/mahogany.jar), I found [mahogany.jar] on (http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/itrc-298/3283/1/304948.rar) showed by Mr. Igor Revyakin.

[Moderator edit: Removed the broken links]

I extracted (did "jar xf") both for [mahogany.jar] and [mahogany-plugin.jar].

2015-01-13_144241 kvm public.png

I run "java com.serverengines.mahogany.MahoganyViewer", I filled in dialog pop-up and OK but I got message "java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect" from "Remote KVMS Viewer".

2015-01-13_150159 kvm public.png

2015-01-13_150455 kvm public.png

I went back to CHROME, and I was feeling so lucky that "Virtual KVM/Media" is already fine and working as well.

2015-01-13_142009 kvm public.png

2015-01-13_131013 kvm public.png

Thank you to Mr. Jacob Leverich for step-by-step solved the problem on DL180 G6 here.

sup2069
Visitor

Thanks jacob! 2015 and this fix still works!