4007 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can't Boot Virtual Media on HP DL580 G4

Justin Grote
Occasional Advisor

Can't Boot Virtual Media on HP DL580 G4

Greetings,

I'm attemping to use the iLo2 virtual media feature (I have an advanced license) on an HP DL580G4 server running iLo2 v1.5. I cannot in any way, shape, or form get the server to boot from virtual media.

I can connect the virtual media just fine with the java console and the SSH command-line method, and they both show themselves as connected in the iLO virtual media status page. I've tried inserted CD's, .iso images on the local machine, .iso image on an HTTP server, and .img files without luck.

I've verified TCP/IP connectivity and can ping the server from the management station. I tried pinging from SSH using oemhp_ping but it wouldn't work for some reason, kept saying "invalid target name" on any IP address I tried to put in it. I think maybe i have the syntax wrong but I'm following it exactly as stated in the User's Guide. That shouldn't be an issue for the java-based virtual media though.

I've verified that there are no firewalls or host-based firewalls between the management station and the server.

I've tried both floppy .img's and cdrom.iso's from multiple sources (HP Firmware CD, SmartStart, Windows 2003, Windows 2008) and nothing works.

I tried using SSH to mount the virtual media from an IIS server. I can access the IIS server media path just fine with no errors, but I see nothing in the HTTP logs about the server attempting to connect to the virtual media. It's as if it isn't even trying.

I haven't installed an operating system on the server yet (that's what I'm trying to do!) so I don't know if the virtual media is accessible normally in a non-boot setting.

I tried resetting everything back to factory defaults including the iLo and BIOS with no luck.

I tried moving USB first in the boot order. I also verified that USB controller and virtual install disk were enabled in the BIOS.

When the server starts, it just goes into a loop attempting to boot regardless of virtual media or not:
"Attempting boot from CD-ROM
Attemping boot from Hard Drive (C:)

Non-System Disk or Disk error
replace and strike any key when ready"

I notice that there isn't any "Attemping to boot from USB" in here. Since the virtual media emulated a USB-attached drive, Is there possibly a flaw in the BIOS where it won't boot from USB even if it is specified in the BIOS? Is this a known issue? I'm not running the latest BIOS on the machine yet because I'd have to physically go to the machine to update it as of now, and I'm a bit of a distance away from it.

I've done this several times with other model servers (DL360G5, DL380G5) without issue.

Thanks for any help, and I hope the detail helps.
7 REPLIES 7
Justin Grote
Occasional Advisor

Issue Resolved.

There was a USB keyboard attached to the server. It looks like the server will NOT boot to USB if there is another non-flash USB drive present. This is pretty stupid IMHO.

I also updated the BIOS to a newer version (by about 4 months) at the same time so that may have resolved the issue too.

Can't believe I drove all the way back here just to unplug a keyboard, this is what iLo was supposed to keep me from doing! (Just Venting, I love iLo).

-Justin Grote
Simon Haslam
Advisor

Justin - thank you *so* much for posting your comment about not being able to boot from iLO virtual CD when you had a USB keyboard attached.

I've just had exactly the same problem (i.e. ignoring the virtual media CD altogether) when I had a USB memory key/stick plugged into an external USB port (note: I also had one in the internal USB port but it doesn't seem to mind about that). I'd just upgraded the BIOS and iLO firmware so thought it was something to do with that but, no, it sounds like anything in an external USB port will stop it booting from iLO media. Note: I've currently got a PS/2 keyboard attached but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Once I removed the external USB key the server booted fine from an ILO2 virtual CD.

For other who may get this problem, the server (DL360 G5) has the latest firmware:
BIOS P58 02-nov-2008
iLO2 1.70 02-dec-2008
MarkVHDA
Occasional Advisor

Justin,

Agreed. Thanks for answering your post. I had something similarly strange on one of my two new DL585 G5s and thought I would share.

We use an IP-based KVM. In addition to standard keyboard, video & mouse it has USB access through the KVM. My DL585 has two USB ports in the back. Each of my two new servers was using a different USB port. One of the servers booted up just fine under iLO remote CD, but the other wouldn't. Sorry I didn't troubleshoot to figure out which USB port would allow me to boot, but I got frustrated with it and just yanked the KVM USB after I saw your post. I am not booting from my iLO remote media now. :) Thanks again.

Mark
Richard Soderberg

To address the specific problem with "oemhp_ping", you need to do "cd /map1" first and then do "oemhp_ping ADDRESS".

If you do "show" at the root level, there is no verb "oemhp_ping". "show /map1" shows it as a verb, however, so when you "cd /map1" you gain access to the verb.

This is not documented in the PDF nor the onboard "help" command, so I'm adding it to the thread since this is a top hit for broken oemhp_ping, as well as including the errors that occur without the "cd /map1" to improve searchability.

hpiLO-> oemhp_ping
status=2
status_tag=COMMAND PROCESSING FAILED
error_tag=COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
Command is not supported for this target.

hpiLO-> oemhp_ping ip
status=2
status_tag=COMMAND PROCESSING FAILED
error_tag=COMMAND ERROR-UNSPECIFIED
Invalid target.
MiguelSullivan

Hi am having a similar problem I have a HP prolaint dl580 g2 server and IM trying to install a OS on it, but when attempting to boot from a CD I get the error non-system disk or disk error,  the CD is bootable and I have tried different types of bootable cd's. One thing I notice is that it does not read the CD when inserted, however the CD drive is functioning properly, I have raid 5 configured and help or suggestions ?

Mikey976

I think i may figured this out for any user whom is having this issue. without the need for on-site assistance.
withing the RBSU go to the usb settings and select "disable external usb devices"
then reboot (Making sure your virtual media is loaded) , your image should boot from that point. this disables all external input to machine and unlike disabling usb legacy devices will still retain iLO support/control as well as "embedded" ie Virtual Media Devices.

hope this helps

i know i've posted this multiple times but it seems many people have had this issue. and after banging my head on keyboard while doing a complete remote p2v migration i ran into this issue
Llui
Occasional Visitor

Waisted hours with HP support to find this simple solution on this forum.

It worked great. Thanks Mikey976 !

His solution:

"I think i may figured this out for any user whom is having this issue. without the need for on-site assistance.
withing the RBSU go to the usb settings and select "disable external usb devices"