1748145 Members
3520 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G2 won't boot after RIB board install

Jim Cross_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380G2 won't boot after RIB board install

I tried to install a Riloe II board in a dl380g2 and the docs say it doesn't matter what slot it is in. After the install the system won't boot up at all. I see there is a spot in the user guide that states "Some servers contain DIP switches on the system board to control certain security settings. Before beginning configuration, if the server is equipped with a Configuration Lock Switch, set this switch to off (unlocked). See the documentation or hood labels that shipped with the server for more information about the Configuration Lock Switch. When configuration is complete, return the switch to the on (locked) position." Would this be my problem and is this switch on the dl380g2?
I also see there are switches on the card itself and they havent' been changed since it was opened. I won't be able to shut down the server until I try the change again and I am hoping someone can tell me if this is my problem.

7 REPLIES 7
barnett chan
Trusted Contributor

You may want to reseat the riser card, and retry. If the riser card is not put back correctly, the server will not boot.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I thought the RILOE II Card needed to be in PCI Slot 1, which I think is the lowest of the slots in the Riser Card.
Shawn Stroud_2

Jim,

I'm experiencing the same problem on two DL380 G2 servers that I tried installing a RiLOE II onto. They just won't boot if the 30 pin cable is used or if the AC Power Pack is used/with the external cables. If you remove the cable and the power pack, the server will boot normally however, you lose the functionality of the Virtual Power Button and the RiLOE will be unavailable if the server loses power. I'm going to upgrade the RiLOE II to the latest firmware and re-apply the cable afterward.
Jim Cross_1
Occasional Contributor

We tried a different card and everything works now except for the mouse. We have the video connector connected to the RILOE card and the docs say for this model the Y cable is not needed. The keyboard works, we've tried a different mouse, resetting the KVM, connecting a mouse directly to the server port, uninstalling and scanning for new hardware and the mouse still doesn't work. When viewing the properties the page is blank. When using the remote console the mouse will work. I've placed a hardware call, do you think it's the board?
Shawn Stroud_2

I've tried two brand new RiLOE IIs on two different DL380 G2s and neither work with the 30 pin cable connected to the riser. I have some other new, still in the box RiLOE IIs that I can try today. This is a strange problem that seems to happen just with the DL380 G2 servers.. FYI My DL380 G2's are the 1.266 Ghz Dual CPU Type.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've got RILOE II's in a couple of DL380 G2 Servers (1.4GHz versions)
I've had no issues. The card installed, alas I'm not sure of the connecting cable used, whatever the Install Guide said to use. Just check the matrix.
I've not used any external power etc.

Video connection plugs into the RILOE II, mouse/keyboard into the normal sockets.
The board was installed in the bottom slot of the Riaser Cage.
No problems with booting, and I can fully access the LO Card remotely.
I did have a dud card at one point, it didn't stop the boot process though, just got disabled during the boot.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Again, check the following suggestions:
- the card is completely seated in the PCI riser cage
- the cage, is completely seated in the host.
- disconnect AC power before removing the PCI riser cage
- check that the PCI slot levers are latched (closed) before powering-up.