5799 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380G5 - Integrated Remote Console access returns telnet error message

Farge_1
Occasional Advisor

DL380G5 - Integrated Remote Console access returns telnet error message

Hello,

I have several DL380G5 servers all with iLO2 Advanced and for some of them it is not possible to open the Integrated Remote Console interface.

When I click on the IRC link, a new Internet Explorer (6.0) black window opens and after a while (~15s) I am getting the following error message :

"Failed to connect to server
Check for available telnet connection"

All systems are in the same rack and connected to the same switch.
I compared several time the iLO settings between the working servers and the other ones. There are no differences for the generic parameters (IP, names... are of course uniquely defined)

For what is dealing with the firmware some nodes have the latest iLO firmware (1.78) but there are not working. The other nodes have older versions (1.42, 1.50...) and some of them work and some other not.

I suspect there is a network issue somewhere. With Wireshark I captured the traffic between my PC and a working machine and a non-working machine. In the first case I can find telnet traffic in the traces and in the second case there is absolutely no telnet exchanges (only SSL and TCP frames)

Any idea on the issue root cause would be welcome !

I already spent a significant amount of time in comparing the settings, updating the firmware, analysing the traffic etc.

Daniel
2 REPLIES 2
Farge_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL380G5 - Integrated Remote Console access returns telnet error message

After further investigation on this issue, we found out that among the many DL380G5 in our lab system, the telnet issue happens only on the machine whose iLO hostname is shorter or equal than 5 characters !

We changed the iLO hostname of one non-working machine by making it longer than 5 characters. At the end the integrated Remote Console window was launched succesfully.

Can someone confirm this rule with regard to the iLO hostname length (> 5 characters) ?
eveque

Re: DL380G5 - Integrated Remote Console access returns telnet error message

In the same boat as Daniel and to share the info.

When hitting the issue, one workaround is to use the ip address of the ilo instead of its (too short) name

Phil.