Server Management - Remote Server Management
1748252 Members
3989 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to config ILO and how can use it

kalyankrishna

How to config ILO and how can use it

I don't have knowledge on HP server, i want to know hoe to configure ILO and how can i use it to login to remote servers and access that server.
9 REPLIES 9
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

If your server came without an installed OS, you can initially configure the ILO Interface from the F8 prompt during POST, if you already have an OS installed you can use the HP tools (hponcfg) to configure it.
kalyankrishna

Thanks for the reply. If you don;t mind can you tell step by how to execute the command and install ILO and how can i use ILo and connect to remote servers. If u have any doc about ILO please provide me the link. Is very urgent i want to improve knowledge on ILO.
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

HP Integrated. Lights-Out 2 User Guide link.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00553302/c00553302.pdf
This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

kalyankrishna

Thanks for u r reply. what is the use of HPONCFG, I try to install ILO using HPONCFG. I restart the system and i press F8 but there no option to execute HPONCFG please help me
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

what is the server and os version ?
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

Thanks for u r reply. what is the use of HPONCFG, I try to install ILO using HPONCFG. I restart the system and i press F8 but there no option to execute HPONCFG please help me

--
You are confusing two different concepts.

If you have a running operating system on the hardware, you can use HPONCFG to configure iLO.

If you have physical access to the console,
there will be a prompt during the power-on
self test (POST) process to press F8 to directly configure iLO. In this later case, you don't use HPONCFG, you directly hand-enter the relevant network values.

I suggest you read the links from earlier replies. This stuff is pretty simple, but you have not read and understood the documentation yet.

-- Rob
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

HPONCFG is an utility used to configure ILO from within the server OS, provided you have already loaded the Proliant Support Pack, it's usage is pretty easy:

hponcfg -w ilo.conf (will save the current config to ilo.conf)
hponcfg -f ilo.conf (will write the config params on ilo.conf to ILO)

The idea is to first run it with -w, then edit it with the proper network settings and username/passwords and then using -f write it to the ILO.
There is a third parameter -r that's used to reset the ILO to factory defaults.

Let me know if i can be of further help

kalyankrishna

Thanks for the reply. Actually i don't have knowledge on Hp servers, How i can configure ILO can u tell what should i do first. I power on the HP server and press F8 after that what should do. Actually what the requirement should have to configure ILO please tell me in details step by step, I can understand clearly please help its very urgent. I have to configure in 2 days.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

How i can configure ILO can u tell what should i do first. I power on the HP server and press F8 after that what should do. Actually what the requirement should have to configure ILO please tell me in details step by step, I can understand clearly please help its very urgent. I have to configure in 2 days.

--

Have you read the documentation that was pointed out in an earlier reply? If you have, you would be asking more direct questions.

I'm sorry that you don't have the knowledge to complete this task, but it's your job to learn how, and reading the documentation is the first step.

When the system is booting, do not press F8 until you are prompted to. There will be some message about pressing F8 to configure iLO; that's when you press F8, not before that prompt.

-- Rob