1748151 Members
3767 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service Fails Install

Matt Carson
Occasional Contributor

HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service Fails Install

When I try to install the HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service on a newly imaged WS2K3 DL385G1 test box, the installation fails.

The error is "Service 'HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service' (hplopts) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." (Retry/Cancel)

The installation is being run while logged in with the built-in admin account.

This system has the latest firmware for all devices and PSP 7.51 is installed.

There are no details in the cpqsystem.log file.

I tried installing the .Net 2.0 framework, but it didn't resolve the problem.

It probably shouldn't matter during the install, but the pass-through option is set to automatic on the iLO.

We do not have the service setup on any other servers (yet). I'm in the process of evaluating this feature for use on all of our systems. Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8
nurascorpio
Regular Advisor

Hi Matt,

I came across this customer advisory whch talks about the Lights-Out service being stopped or not functioning, check this ..

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EM050502_CW01

Regds

NS
Matt Carson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the input, but I can't set a TermService dependency for the HP Lights-Out Passthrough service, manually or otherwise, until after the installation completes, and I don't quite get that far.

I noticed that the HP Lights-Out Passthrough service does get created, at least temporarily, during the install. The service goes to "starting" status, but when it times out, the installation fails and the installer removes the service.

I tried launching the extracted executable (hplopts.exe) by itself, but I get another error saying that it must run as a service. I'm considering trying servany.exe, but even if that works, I probably couldn't consider it a feasible solution. I'm also going to try this on some other test servers with fresh OS installs.
nurascorpio
Regular Advisor

Hi Matt,

Would like to know if there are any events related to iLO Passthrough, any specific event id's.

There were errors related to exception in passthrough service, in that case try the following steps:

Disable the iLO Passthrough service, in services

First set the ILO Passthrough Configuration to Disabled and apply the setting to force a reset of the card

Set the ILO Passthrough service to Automatic and then start the service

Restart the service and reset the ILO in the network settings

Regds
NS

acartes
Honored Contributor

The latest version of the service contains a dependency on the OS RDP being started. In the original version, if the iLO passthrough service started before Windows RDP, the passthrough service failed with this symptom.

A workaround was to manually restart the service.

The solution is in the current version of the service where an explicit dependency on RDP is created.

Also verify that:
- iLO has a license key installed
- Remote Desktop is enabled in the host OS.
Matt Carson
Occasional Contributor

Again, the service doesn't exist because the installation fails and rolls back the changes it made to the system. There is no service to modify or restart.

I've incorporated the hponcfg /reset and hponcfg /f commands into our automated server builds. The RILOE2's and iLOs are identified, reset, and configured every time we build or rebuild a server. I've also already tried running the passthrough service install after manually setting the passthrough option to disabled and then to enabled or automatic, resetting the device each time.

TS/RDP is enabled. The Terminal Services service is running and I connect OK with RDP.

I get the same results on a 380G2 (WS2K3) with a RILLOE II, and on other test boxes with iLOs with licenses installed. Installing licenses is also part of the automated configuration during the server build.

I obtained the latest copy of the passthrough service installer from http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24132.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The error app log entry after the failed install is similar to the one in the original post. Event ID 1920. "Product: HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service -- 1920 Service 'HP Light-Out Passthrough Service' (hplopts) failded to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I'm logged in with the built-in admin account. The scripted hardening on the box is minimal - Legal notice, accounts renamed, and restrict anonymous keys set.

Today I tried running the install on a new Win2K box with the same automated/scripted installation components as the 2003 build. After installing .Net 2.0, the passthrough service installed successfully on that box (DL380G2 with RILOE II.) I still can't get the install to complete on a 2003 std, ent, or x64 server.
M. Black

Matt - I know that your original post is old but I am receiving the same error when I attempt an ilo passthrough installation. My system is a new Windows 2008 R2 server build on a BL465c G6 with all the latest HP firmware/software/drivers via PSP 8.30.

Were you able to resolve this issue? If so, how?
mdcarson

Sorry, I don't think I ever found a good solution. We didn't ever do a wide spread deployment.
barnett chan
Trusted Contributor