New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual Media disconnects

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lars Oeschey
Advisor

Virtual Media disconnects

Hi,

I have the problem, that a .iso that I mount in Virtual Media disconnects. The time after it does that is random. It happens only from Windows 7, from XP it works. I tried IE 8 and Firefox 3, as well as Java 1.4.2_19 and 1.6.0_18. iLO version is 1.94 on a DL380 G4.
This is really a problem for firmware updates, I don't know what happens if the disconnect happens in the middle of a update...

Any ideas where the problem could be?
5 REPLIES 5
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor
Solution

Can you please use Wireshark and capture a network trace showing the time of the disconnection?

This could be the TCP checksum equal to 0xFFFF issue we've seen sometimes when doing Virtual Media with Win7.

iLO rejects these TCP packets because the checksum is wrong, causing virtual media to disconnect.

We patched iLO2 TCP layer in version 2.01 to follow RFC 1624 recommendations but, iLO-1 is still the old TCP code because it is an End of Life product.

ok, I captured the traffic, only thing I can see is before the disconnect there are a few retransmits... maybe someone more profound in TCP can see the problem ;)
I upload the last 429 packets, since the whole capture is way too big for the forum and bad compressable.
Something to add: The unmount only happens, when the media is actually accessed, for this test I just copied the contents to a local folder.
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Yep, this is the TCP checksum equal to 0xFFFF issue.

It all begins with packet number 425. iLO TCP layer ignores this TCP segment because of the wrong checksum. Checksum here should be 0x0000.
VMedia client retries sending the same segment with checksum 0xFFFF few more times and iLO keeps dropping them. After few seconds retrying, the Vmedia client finally times out and closes the socket.

ok, so the only way to solve that problem is to not use Win7, since the iLO won't be fixed anymore?
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

So far, the issue has only been reported when using Win7 as virtual media client.

iLO-1 is an End of Life product. No more firmware releases are planned for it.