7714 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Confiring the HP SIM 5.3

Jafiz Nazim
Occasional Advisor

Confiring the HP SIM 5.3

Hi All,

With respect to HP SIM 5.3, I would like to know few details for configuring the same for monitoring the hardware failure with the help of SNMP.
1. What are the pre requirement for installing the HP SIM
2. After installing the SIM on a manger server, is there any agent needs to be installed on the other nodes which we are going to monitor. If yes, please provide the name or link from where I can download the same.
3. Whether SNMP service has to be configured on all systems.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Jafiz Nazim
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Mills
Frequent Advisor

1.http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html

2. yes, you have to either install the HP Insight Management Agents or the HP WBEM Providers. Plus you will want the Version Control Agent and maybe SSH.

3. If using SNMP you need to setup common Community Strings in your infrastructure and setup each box to accept SNMP packets from only your SIM host.

WBEM is quickly becoming the way to go. Easier to setup and maintain. With every release of the providers it has more and more. Plus WBEM is far more secure.
Jafiz Nazim
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rob,
Thx for your reply. I will explain my infra and my requirement.
I have a server which I have HP SIM 5.3 SP1 installed and I am able to discover my servers which I need to monitor for hardware failure through SNMP
1) Is it possible to monitor the clients without agents. But I can enable the SNMP on all servers.
2) Is WBEM is getting installed on management server or I have to install to all the systems which I need to monitor.
Rob Mills
Frequent Advisor

you can monitor a server's availability on the network with no agents, but you will get no component monitoring.

this goes for both SNMP and WBEM. There is some basic information you can pick up from WMI (for a windows server) but no failure information
Jafiz Nazim
Occasional Advisor

Rob,

Is server will ask for any reboot after the agent installation?

Regadrs
Jafiz Nazim
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It can depend on how the server was built. If you used Smart Start then the chances are that the agents are there already.
It's better to install the entire PSP as there are some underlying drivers that support the agents.
Depending on what gets updated can determine if a reboot is required.
Note also if you set up the Version Control Repository Manager and Version Control Agent you can also download BIOS and other Firmware updates into the repository. So from the VCA you can update software and firmware.