Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752782 Members
6723 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Find out the root cause of Health Status (no SMH/WBEM)

Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Find out the root cause of Health Status (no SMH/WBEM)

How can you find out the reason why SIM shows a certain health status when there is no SMH or property page link?

I know from a few ITRC posts that on ProLiant systems a non-empty IML can cause health status to be major. But beyond that I have no idea how SIM comes to certain conclusions.

Since a few days all my EVAs are on health status informational. In Command View it's all green. It's a mystery ;)

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

A status of "i" would indicate the data collection has failed and there's no data about the EVA. Typically I found this is because the link between HP SIM and CV has been broken.
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

You are right, there is no data collection. So that status is is now clear, thanks.

But more generally, how is it possible to find this out? Is there a logfile somewhere to dig around?

The other unclear status I have is a ProLiant DL385 G2 with health status minor, what could be the reason for that? (no SMH installed, IML cleared)
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

If you would have install SMH you would see the problem that is minor.

Daniel
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Yes I know, but there is no SMH installed on my systems.

Is there a logfile in SIM that shows something useful? As far as I understand it's the Hardware Status Polling Task that finds out the health status, is that correct?
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

The EVA data collection is now working on all EVAs, but they still show health status "i". Again, what could it be?

I find it frustrating that you only get a status without any explanation in SIM... feels like being treated as a dummy :-(
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If the data collection for the EVA is working then the status should show as something other than informational.

If you don't have the SMH then it would seem that HPSIM is getting something from either snmp or WMI. The latter only if you've entered wbem credentials.

There are a number of logfiles in the hpsim installation tree. There are sometimes indications of what has happened there. but they can be quite large.
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Thanks Rob, could you point me to some logfiles?

Don't know how EVAs communicate with SIM, only that a lot of different software is involed. (That's a rant for another day ;-)