6391 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Generic Unregistered trap for Blackberry Server

Melanie Sang
Frequent Advisor

Generic Unregistered trap for Blackberry Server

Hi
We are getting 100's of traps from our new Blackberry Servers, all of them saying:

A genericUnregistered trap signifies that a system has sent a trap to the management server for a MIB that has not yet been compiled. Try compiling any MIBs from the vendor for this system to obtain additional information. See Details for more information

We have compiled and registered the Blackberry v5.0 MIB on our HPSIM server. Yet we are still getting all these alerts. When I check the SNMP Trap in HPSIM, it is blank. Anyone know how to stop these alerts?
3 REPLIES 3
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

You can stop unregistered events inside SIM under options-> Events-> Events filter settings disable accept unregistered events.

But the better approach would be to check the source of the events. Search with the Trap ID from the unregistered the event details in the Internet. You should get the glue which software or hardware component is generating the trap. If this trap is important to your environment you can try to find the correct mib for it. (Not always a very easy task)

Hope this helps.
Melanie Sang
Frequent Advisor

The trap is coming from our Blackberry Server, and we have just recently downloaded the latest MIBS for them, registered the MIBs, and now we are getting 100's of alerts, all genericUnregistered traps
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Take care not all MIB File will include the complete trap information.
For example the BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2.mib File does not include a trap definition!!!

The mib files from HP in the SIM mibs dirctory include mainly the trap definitions.

I would ask my black berry software vendor support for the correct file with the trap definitions.

You also need to think about the traps which could be generated by the server OS or components of the OS e.g. cold start