1748159 Members
3821 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to downgrade HP SIM 7.3 to HP SIM 7.2

Alpha_1_1
Valued Contributor

How to downgrade HP SIM 7.3 to HP SIM 7.2

Has anybody successfully downgraded HP SIM 7.3 to HP SIM 7.2. I ran the HP SIM 7.2 installer but it does not give me the option to install HP SIM 7.2.

If I uninstal HP SIM 7.3 via Programs and Features on my Win 2008 R2 server will the data in the database be left intact.

I don't want to loose all my collections, event handling tasks etc

GTS I&O - "In the Server Room, no-one can hear you scream..."
10 REPLIES 10
Alpha_1_1
Valued Contributor

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

You could give it a try but i would guess that the database model has been modified by the 7.3 update. So i don't think that would work. But if you don't try your never sure.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
Alpha_1_1
Valued Contributor

You are absolutely right. I have spent a few miserable days messing about with this . You can't install HP SIM 7.2 over 7.3 so I had to uninstall HP SIM 7.3. I then installed HP SIM 7.2 but it did n,t pick up the original database. It installed  a fresh database. No use to me as I have a lot of servers, configured tasks etc. I tried pointing HP SIM 7.2 towards the original database by editing files by following the following instructions from a HP Guide on changing databases -

Manually re-registering a new database by altering the HPSIM configuration files
1. Create a backup of the database.props, database.admin, databaseadminupd.tpl and databaseupdate.tpl files located in <installation directory>\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config.
2. You must modify some settings for the new database changes in Systems Insight Manager in each of the following property files: database.props, database.admin, databaseadminupd.tpl and databaseupdate.tpl files. Update these files with the following information, and then save the files.
a. Change the value after hp.Database.hostName=source-server-name to target-server-name.
b. Change the value after hp.Database.instancename=source-server-name \\source-instance to target-server-name\\target_database_instance.
c. If the database user account is a local user account, change the value after hp.Database.username=source-server-name to target-server-name\\username.
d. If moving to a different SQL server, it may use a different port. If this is the case, update the value after hp.Database.portNumber= to the new port number.
3. Create a backup of the hpsim-ds.xml file located in the <installation directory>\HP\Systems Insight Manager\jboss\server\hpsim\deploy directory. Do not place the backup file in this directory.
4. Modify the hpsim-ds.xml file located in the <installation directory>\HP\Systems Insight Manager\jboss\server\hpsim\deploy directory.
a. Locate the line with the <connection-url> XML tag; it will look similar the following: <connection-url>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://dbServerName:1433/Insight_v50_0_###
b. Change the dbServerName text from the old SQL Server host name to match the new SQL Server host name. ; loginTimeout=20;domain=dbServerName;instance=source-instance</connection-url>
c. If moving to a different SQL server it may use a different port. If this is the case update the port number that follows the first dbServerName (for example, dbServerName:1433).
d. If the target database has a different database instance, update the instance name after the instance= parameter.
5. Start the Systems Insight Manager service.

This allowed my HP SIM 7.2 to see the original database. I can see my collections etc but I cannot receive any traps.

Wbem subscriptions are gone. Its just a total pain.

I'll be logging a call with HP and we will see how I get on.

GTS I&O - "In the Server Room, no-one can hear you scream..."
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

If you have the HPSIM 7.2 DB backup or you have used DMT to back the HPSIM please follow below steps:

**** DB Backup for HP SIM 7.2 is available

1) Uninstall HPSIM 7.3

2) Install Fresh HPSIM 7.2

3) Reconfigure the HPSIM 7.2 DB to the backup (HPSIM 72 Backup DB).

4) install Updates

Manually re-registering a new database by altering the HPSIM configuration files

1. Create a backup of the database.props, database.admin, databaseadminupd.tpl and databaseupdate.tpl files located in <installation directory>\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config.

2. You must modify some settings for the new database changes in Systems Insight Manager in each of the following property files: database.props, database.admin, databaseadminupd.tpl and databaseupdate.tpl files. Update these files with the following information, and then save the files.

a. Change the value after hp.Database.hostName=source-server-name to target-server-name.

b. Change the value after hp.Database.instancename=source-server-name \\source-instance to target-server-name\\target_database_instance.

c. If the database user account is a local user account, change the value after hp.Database.username=source-server-name to target-server-name\\username.

d. If moving to a different SQL server, it may use a different port. If this is the case, update the value after hp.Database.portNumber= to the new port number.

3. Create a backup of the hpsim-ds.xml file located in the <installation directory>\HP\Systems Insight Manager\jboss\server\hpsim\deploy directory. Do not place the backup file in this directory.

4. Modify the hpsim-ds.xml file located in the <installation directory>\HP\Systems Insight Manager\jboss\server\hpsim\deploy directory.

a. Locate the line with the <connection-url> XML tag; it will look similar the following: <connection-url>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://dbServerName:1433/Insight_v50_0_###; loginTimeout=20;domain=dbServerName;instance=source-instance</connection-url>

b. Change the dbServerName text from the old SQL Server host name to match the new SQL Server host name.

c. If moving to a different SQL server it may use a different port. If this is the case update the port number that follows the first dbServerName (for example, dbServerName:1433).

d. If the target database has a different database instance, update the instance name after the instance= parameter.

5. Start the Systems Insight Manager service.

NOTE: The above steps are copied from “How to Move an HP Systems Insight Manager SQL 2008 Database from a Local to a Remote Server White Paper Systems Insight Manager Installation Directory” .

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

boxtell
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Has these notes worked  for you guys? What my issues is now that I have restored the old 7.3 db to match the new 7.2 db name, the service account that I have used to install and run SIM gets locked out in AD.

Process ...

1. Backup the 7.3db

2. Uninstall 7.3

3. Install 7.2 which creates a new db.

4. Remove the replace the new ly create db, and restored/mount the old 7.3db but changing the name to the newly create        7.2db.

5.Restart services, login to SIM and all of my 7.3 data is there.

The Issue:  The AD service account gets locked out.

Any ideas?

Kostantin Pavlidis
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Did you ever get this to work? I am asking because I am thinking of downgrading myself.

Kostantin Pavlidis
Occasional Advisor

So, I tried to do the downgrade today:

Backed-up the DB

Removed HP SIM 7.3

Installed 7.2 and stopped the instance

Restored the backup of the DB into the DB of 7.2 with REPLACE option in MSSQL

Started HP SIM

The result: HP SIM looks a mess :(

I cannot see system properties/ events etc. It gives me the error that a certain toolbox is missing (although all sec./ authorizations are just fine), I am not sure that I am recieving any traps etc...

Unfortunately it seems that I will have to revert to the clone I had made and live with 7.3 for now... I will try opening a support ticket with HP.

If anyone has managed to get this working please let me know.

boxtell
Occasional Advisor

I personall gave up ... Support could not help me get this resolved.  My main issue was not so much restoring the DB.  Everything worked perfectly, until a few minutes after logging into SIM, the service account used wil get locked out in Active Directory, which was the account used to install 7.3.

Here is what I tried:

Backup and restored the db.

Created a new db, restored to the new db from the old 7.3.

Created a new db, and exported tables from the old 7.3 to the new 7.2 db.

I may have something else, and in all cases it would locked the service account.  My DBA said, that the GUID may have changed for the new installation, which is why it kept locking out the account.

So before, dettaching the 7.3 db, I logged into SIM and since I could  see my data, I took screenshots of the settings, credentials, discovery ...  And started using the new db which the 7.2 installation created.  Of course, all my data was gone at this point. 

My advise, make note of your settings and start fresh ... I wasted 2 full days monkeying with this and nothing.  I was up and running within 2 hours tops.