Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753259 Members
6186 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Insight manager 5.3.1 to 6.3. Clean Install or Upgrade?

Julian_P
Occasional Contributor

HP Insight manager 5.3.1 to 6.3. Clean Install or Upgrade?

Hi,

We are currently using HP SIM 5.3.1 and I have been tasked to upgrade it to 6.3.

My question: is it recommened to perform an upgrade from 5.3.1 to 6.3 or uninstall 5.3.1 and perform a clean 6.3 install?

I guess which is the easier route that should present the least amount of possible problems.

We are currently using a local SQL 2005 express database but I am going to offload the database to a dedicated SQL Server as we have reached to 4GB limit of SQL Express.

Regards, Julian

4 REPLIES 4
ICS
Frequent Advisor

Depends....do you want to preserve your existing jobs, task, collections, etc. you need to look at the pro/cons of upgrade versus clean install..clean install clean environment. I personally would migrate my data to the new environment.. Using the migration tool.
n0kia
Valued Contributor

Least amount of possible problems would be non upgrade because you can't go from 5.3 straight to 6.3. You would need to upgrade to 6.0 > 6.1 > and then 6.3 while using the migration tool.

Al_bundy

Thank you for your replies.

According to HP Systems Insight Manager 6.3 Installation and Configuration Guide for Microsoft Windows.pdf Section 6 I can upgrade from 5.3.1 to 6.3 but data migration support for 6.1 to 6.3

Am I to assume when you upgrade it doesn't do data migration ?

Change_happens
Honored Contributor

upgrade does migrate data and its acceptable upgrade.

Data migration tool is to migrate data from one CMS to another. so when they say Data migration supports 6.1 to 6.3 means, you can migrate data between these versions not before this.