3831 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.3 Discovery shows IP number instead of name

Aad Moll
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM 5.3 Discovery shows IP number instead of name

Hello,

I have a question, when I manually discover servers by typing their hostname in the manual discovery job, but one of the servers is discovered by IP-address while the others are shown by hostname.
I have checked a few of the servers for diffrences but to me they look the same.
Why is one server returned by ip-address and the other by hostname?

Regards,

Aad
15 REPLIES 15
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

have you checked your dns entry for that server ?

hth

Aad Moll
Occasional Contributor

Mark,

Thanks for youre reply.
Yes I have checked the DNS entries for all servers, and they are all equal. Just like the SNMP settings and informational settings in the OS like hostname.
In SIM I have changed the information of the server, so for now it is represented and found by hostname, but to me it is still a question why the IP-number is resolved.

Regards,
Aad
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You can't just check the entries in DNS, you need to check forward and reverse resolution from your HP SIM central management server. The only way that HP SIM can resolve names is through DNS.
jameskrolak
Advisor

Does that mean that SIM uses reverse DNS to find devices or resolve hostnames? Or just forward lookups?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It uses both to confirm the address. My understanding is that it cross checks the results.
jameskrolak
Advisor

Oooh...good to know. I hadn't been setting up Reverse DNS entries for all of my devices.
FabTan

can i bypass the cross check? it was working fine with just forward lookup. We have multiple AD domains. because of this i dont think getting reverse lookups to work will be an option.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure that reverse DNS configuration is a requirement for proper operation of HP SIM and any of its plugins (VSE, etc...)

-- Rob
City_Blue
Super Advisor

i have a simaler situation, but mine have the serial number showing. they are also in a C7000 blade enclouser