108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 6.2 event status for Enclosure & Onboard Administrator

SOLVED
Go to solution
sc2
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 6.2 event status for Enclosure & Onboard Administrator

Configuration: HP SIM 6.2. c7000 blade enclosure. BL460c G6 blades. OA firmware 3.11

Problem we are seeing is related to the visual indicators on the enclosure/blade images displayed in both tools. description below:

Let's say a hardware event occurs on blade in the enclosure described above (ex. DIMM error). We see event status in SIM and in Onboard Administrator (OA) looking at image both tools create for enclosure. For DIMM failure example above, a triangle warning icon appears on the blade that has bad DIMM. That's good.

Problem is, once issue is corrected (DIMM replaced) or error cleared, the OA image of the enclosure is updated and no warning icons appear on blade. This is good too.

However, in SIM, the error/warning indicator does not update (the triangle warning icon stays on blade).

Do we have a mis-configuration? Or is anyone else seeing this behavior?
6 REPLIES 6
sc2
Occasional Advisor

I included screen shots to help describe text above.

hpsim.jpg is a screen shot of the HP SIM visual indicators for the cluster. You can see all the additional alarm indicators that don't show up in OA. I've circled them.

oa.jpg is a screen shot of the Onboard Administrator.
sc2
Occasional Advisor

screen shot for OA
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

HP SIM will continue to reflect that status until the cause is acknowledged. That means either clearing the event in HP SIM or if it is being picked up by status polling, doing the same in the server's IML.
sc2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd checked that previously, and seeing your response I tried again. I cleared all the SIM events listed for that enclosure. I also kicked off a hardware status polling for the enclosure.

Once finished, if I click on the 'Events' tab on the page (when enclosure is in focus) I now don't see any events. However, the enclosure image is still riddled with event warnings and the Health Status is 'Major'.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

The view you are seeing is an aggregated view. What do the individual status reflect? Check the individual blades. In 6.2 hovering over the status will show you the source of non-OK status.
sc2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks David. If I hover over the individual blade it shows a 'HWStatus:Major. Click for details' message. It took me to sys mgt home page where it showed a few NICs (unplugged) that weren't in use. I disabled the NICs in the OS and error indicator went away.

Was a bit confusing as there weren't any events related to this blade. Think I'm understanding a bit more.

Thanks & regards.