108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with HP SIM 5.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with HP SIM 5.2

Hi Ivakin, in ur one reply you mentionaed that system name came as "Orphan-23-name of server" It happens in below conditions:
1)When HP SIM detects that both the IP address and name have been reallocated to another system.Occasionally, this reallocation can happen through simultaneous DHCP address assignment changes and a system rename.
2)can be caused by a move of the operating system from one blade to another through different virtualization mechanisms, such as a physical-to-physical system move or replacement of a system board that has not be
configured the same as the original system board.

Yeah so i am still expecting that you have some network issue.
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

>>Orphan-22-name of server, Orphan-23-name of server. These items added and disabled by systems. What are they means?

-- That reason i specified in previous reply. now i explain what that mean?
so when it detects such system it fails to give name to that system so it adds first Orphan--/Serial
So 22 is device key of that server in Database and that old server Name.

Hope It should be clear.
Ivakin Dmitry
Frequent Advisor

These symptoms are very strange. As I said before, I haven't DHCP configuration on my servers. Also these servers are not blade systems, they are HP DL380 G4/G5 servers.
Today I rebooted my CMS hoping it will solve my problems. But didn't.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Ivakin
I do agree with David you most likely have a DNS conflict.

Your info (msc-fs1:192.168.1.1 ala-fs:192.168.1.2) is a little confusing but you allready explained they are not the real adresses.
Probably msc-fs1 (192.168.1.1) ala-fs (192.168.2.2) is more like the real situation as i assume you use different subnets for different locations?

my questions are
- do both servers plus your CMS have the same dns-namespace (like msc-fs1.contoso.com ala-fs.contoso.com)?
- If not the same, do you have CName-records (aliasses) or A-records in the CMS namespace for those servers?
- are there any NAT devices (routers firewalls) involved? this might result in a server reporting a different adress to SIM (it's local adress) then that by wich you access it's (NAT-adress).
Ivakin Dmitry
Frequent Advisor

Yes, you're right regarding subnetting information, it should be like 192.168.1.*, 192.168.2.*

- Yes, they are all in one DNS namespace.
- yes, these servers has routers between subnets. But we are not using NAT, just some routing protocols.
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

Here i may suggest that confirm that what SIM is storing for those server by going into DB.

just do "select * from devices" see what IP and name SIM gets for those 2 systems. and after replacing with other.

I am sure SIM doesn't delete or replace any node till they are same (by name/IP)
Ivakin Dmitry
Frequent Advisor

I tried last suggest solution:
1) I add new host (totally I have 13 host in database) by FQDN
2) I queried 'device' table, this host has been existed in this table. Then output to txt file all content of table
3) I add new host (14) by FQDN
4) I queried 'device' table again, and found host #14 just replaced host #13. Then output to txt file all content of table.
5) Because in this table I don't have IP information, I just looked to HPSIM CMS console and found there host#14 used IP address of host #13.

I've looked into error logs of SQL SRV Express edition. I found some old error (they are not repeated during steps 1-5)

Starting up database 'Insight_v50_0_101731380'.
2008-05-13 14:22:57.86 spid55 Warning: SQL cache memory usage: 1070 pages
If this condition persists, see the Error Log Messages topic in Troubleshooting.
2008-05-13 14:23:27.75 spid52 Warning: SQL cache memory usage: 1070 pages
If this condition persists, see the Error Log Messages topic in Troubleshooting.
2008-05-13 14:23:53.33 spid54 Warning: SQL cache memory usage: 1070 pages
2008-05-13 14:24:29.22 spid54 Warning: SQL cache memory usage: 1070 pages

Any suggestions?
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

Hi Did u see which column was same for #13 and #14. it may replaced based on Serial number, Name, IP, UUID ; just see if r they (Any) same?
Ivakin Dmitry
Frequent Advisor

I checked these two txt files and found differences in columns:
1) Name (msc-fs1 changed to ala-fs)
2) Productsubtype (HPProliant changed to HPUNCFG)
3) Product name (HP Proliant DL380 G4 changed to empty string)
4) timestamp
5) fullDNSname
Change_happens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Did u mean "HP Proliant DL380 G4" changed to empty? means that server is not recognised by SIM as "DL380" and also subtype is not "proliant" Is that node not a server? looks ur this system has issue with PSP agents or SNMP. Its not identified properly if thats not a Server.

but still question is how come it deleting/replacing other node? I will see it tomorrow. Need HPSIM experts here.
It may be a database issue.