Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748280 Members
3837 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sim 5.0 to Sim 6.0 migration : how to keep the configuration ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Sim 5.0 to Sim 6.0 migration : how to keep the configuration ?

Hello All.

I've been assigned the task to migrate our CMS server to a new one.

The current CMS is running SIM 5.0.1.1 (yes, I know ...) / W2003 / SQL2000 on a Proliant server. The new one will be a VmWare guest machine with Sim 6 / W2008 R2 / Sql 2005.

I know it's preferable to not migrate it because of the gap between the two versions, so I'm going to install all the product from scratch. But I don't want to loose the collections and settings.

The current CMS is backuped using the informations provided in the HP document 'Backing up and restoring HP SIM 5.2 ...'. Is that sufficient for restoring the collections and settings in the new CMS ?

Many thanks for you help and advises.
11 REPLIES 11
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hello.

I found I can use the MX tols for exporting groups, users, settings .. Great.

Now my question is : the XML file generated with the mxquery tool shows IDs for the collections. Can this file be imported in a new server without any negative effect ?

Regards.
T. Vander Auwera
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

There is a new migration tool available with HPSIM 6.00

Back up your current CMS and data.

Upgrade it to 5.3-SP1

Install HPSIM 6.00 on the new server

There is a new migration tool (command line) available in C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\migration called migration.exe

Copy and execute the tool on the 5.3SP1 CMS

Copy the generated file to the new CMS

Use the same tool to restore the data.

HTH,

Tristan
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hello Tristan.

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure I will the opportunity to upgrade the CMD to 5.3 but I will try, I have a bad experience of upgrading the SIM version and will make a full backup before proceeding.

Regards.
Pete2010
Frequent Advisor

1. Select the Options>Discovery>Manual Discovery>Host Files tab.

2. Click ├в New├в , enter a name in the field provided, then under ├в Initialize contents with├в highlight Systems loaded from the central management server, sorted by: IP Address, and select ├в Initialize Now├в

3. In the Contents window, Highlight all the lines of text and copy it into the clipboard.

4. Open Notepad, and select Edit-Paste. Save the file as F:\HPSIM.txt (this will be imported later)

5. Open command prompt, navigate to \Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin

6. Export currently registered mibs: >mxmib ├в l >reg_mibs.txt

Then upgrade SIM
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hello Pete.

I already export the devices list weekly. I saved the registered mibs list using a SQL query but will do it also with Mxmib.

Thanks.
Ilyxa
Solution

"There is a new migration tool (command line) available in C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\migration called migration.exe
Copy and execute the tool on the 5.3SP1 CMS
Copy the generated file to the new CMS
Use the same tool to restore the data."

As i can see, this tool is not command line. When i run it, it installs something somewhere (??) and thats all. how can it generate file? Thanks.
T. Vander Auwera
Frequent Advisor

The executable adds the mxexport and mximport commands to the C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin folder and other required files for the migration.
The commands syntax details are in the online man pages on hp.com

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library51/mxexport.1m.html

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library51/mximport.1m.html

HTH,

Tristan
T. Vander Auwera
Frequent Advisor

The migration Whitepaper is now in the HP SIM 6.x Information library

Data Migration of an Existing MS Windows CMS to a New Insight Software 6.0 System

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02080248/c02080248.pdf

HTH,

Tristan
SIT
Regular Advisor

Hi

I've read the migration doc and test the export tools (seems to work fine after modify the Java size value).

i've just one question just to be sure about the migration.
Do i have to keep the same Ip adress or name on the target HP SIM 6.0 server ? Since it can to generate connexion pb to the existing remote SQl Database or the import of data from the migration tools .. ?

Thx