1752422 Members
6017 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

SIM 7.2 event reporting

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Re: SIM 7.2 event reporting

Yes, it's showing up as a minor event. We simply pull the plug and it reports as being minor, but the event never gets logged. I'll post the actual results if/when I have a chance to remove the power again.

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Another view of the "event". As stated previously, no logging is taking place for this.

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Traps and Indications which gets logged as System Events and get reflected as aggregated status of the event or overall status of the node. This is dependent on provider or the agent on the target node to update the CMS.

But in case of Heath status CMS goes and checks the node for memory, power, network etc and the same is reflected on the system page as real time data. In this case we are not depedent on the provider to update us, but instead we query teh provider for the state.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the info. But it still doesn't resolve the issue. If a component is faulty, I would like to receive an email/test message, etc. But without logging, event management is useless. The CMS reports log ins and log outs, but not faulty components?!

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

So, the assumption is that the 'events' tab is just completely blank, correct?

As mentioned before, i think the message is getting lost somehow. As Tushar said, the health status is updated via a poll to the server, so basically from CMS to client. Events/traps are the other way around, so my guess is that the trap is not getting to the SIM/CMS server. Is there a way for you to scan the network traffic to see if the CMS is "seeing" the trap?

I admit i haven't had to troubleshoot WBEM communication (so far) so I am not sure what else to suggest at this point.
BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Not completely blank, but hardware events are not getting reported. Log in and log out, and this past weekend some of the data gathering tasks failed and that was reported.

Scanning the network traffic might be a problem, but I'll investigate that. Question: do the monitored servers need to be "Run Tools" enabled? The 3 Proliants running ESX are not....could that becausing the issue? I've attached another screenshot, please see below.

Thanks again for the advice/assistance.

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

I just noticed an item in the user guide. Does the WMI mapper service need to be configured on the ESX hosts? It appears to be a requirement, according to the doc I'm looking at.

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I admit i am not sure what screen you are looking at for the tools configuration.  Let me know where this is and I can check my ESXi collection.  I didn't have to do anything special at all - just throw in the credentials, discover, then subscribe to events.

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again. As it turned out, the fix was to unsusbscribe to the WBEM events and then re-subscribe. I had only redone the subscribe process, and as it said it was successful, I assumed it was. Apparently not. An HP employee enlightened me.

Many thanks to you and everyone else who offered advice.