Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751806 Members
5007 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM hitting fiber switches filling up event logs with failed login attempts...

Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

SIM hitting fiber switches filling up event logs with failed login attempts...

One of our network guys came to me stating that Insight Manager is filling up the fiber switchs event logs with failed login attempts. HP Sims "global sign in credentials" is a windows domain account for all our windows servers. Obviously this account can't access our switches.
1. What is HP SIM trying to log on to the switches?
2. How can I stop if from trying to log on to the switches?
3. They don't care if the switches are being monitored, but they don't want SIM trying to access it.

I have the discovery set for once a week for the entire subnet range. x.x.x.3 - x.x.x.255.
If I have to exclude the IPs for all the switches and then delete them from the database, they won't be monitored, but shouldn't impact the switches anymore.
I don't know what HPSIM is trying to do with the switches, but it needs to stop trying to logon to them.
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM hitting fiber switches filling up event logs with failed login attempts...

If the switches are in the discovery range then HPSIM will use the global credentials to try and identify them.
You'll need to exclude them from the discovery range and delete them.
You might want to consider either separating the switch management to a different VLAN or constraining them to an easily excluded part of the VLAN.
Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

Yes I understand I need to remove them from the discovery range and delete them from the HP Sim Database. HP SIM does see them.
Since it sees them, why does it keep trying to log into the switches? If I add the credentials for the switches in the global credientals, what exactly will HP SIM do when it has access to log on? Our switch guy doesn't want it messing anything up on the switches.
Is it safe to put the credientals for the switchs so HP SIM will get access???
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

As part of the discovery process HP SIM will use all of the available global protocols to access the device to try an determine what it can about it.
It will not try and reconfigure the switch.

I just tried to answer the points you'd raised. On 1. It's trying to get as much info. as possible. For 2. & 3. if you don't want them monitored then remove them from the discovery range.
Other options available are to stop the discovery task and only run it as required.
Or change the global credentials not to try SSH.
Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

I'll disable SSH in the global credentials. That shouldn't affect any thing else.