5381 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SNMP trap on SIM6.0 for ESX4.0 Update 1 with Management agent 8.4

ES_mycro
Occasional Advisor

SNMP trap on SIM6.0 for ESX4.0 Update 1 with Management agent 8.4

Hello,
I am having an issue with my SIM. I will try to describe as more accurate as I can my environment to make you confortable with my problem.

I have SIM6.0 installed on a HP server on a certain net and my ESX4.0 server on another net. The two nets can communicate perfectly between them since I opened all necessary port on the gateway/firewall, i.e. 161 and 162UDP for snmp trap for the case of my issue.
Then I had installed Management agent for the hardware and the software version of ESX and everything went well.

SIM discover pretty well the ESX system and shows it in the main system page giving the right details: bladexxx ESXyyy.
Also, I can find MIBs for vmware in SIM, so I am assuming that SIM can manage events for HP hardware and vmware.

Issue comes when I try to send a SMTP trap test from the blade management page: no interception from SIM.

I am becoming mad since it is a week I'm on this problem without going any further.

I really appreciate any help.

ES
12 REPLIES 12
Michael Pultz-Hansen
Occasional Advisor

Re: SNMP trap on SIM6.0 for ESX4.0 Update 1 with Management agent 8.4

Hi,
Is your SNMP service on the HP SIM server configured correctly?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726987.aspx

Best regards,
Michael
ES_mycro
Occasional Advisor

Michael,
thank you for your replying.

Yes I am sure that SNMP protocol is well configured since I am receiving traps from any other hardware. I just made some little adjustment for trap communities but in the end is up and running good. The problem seems limited to our BL465c with ESX on them only.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous message was that, with HP ESX4.0 management agent ver. 8.25 all the traps were sent correctly (even the test one). Issue started since I upgraded the management agent to ver. 8.4.0.

Best regards,
ES.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
Check your /var/spool/opt/hp/hpsmh/logs/error_log file after you tried to send the trap. If you see an error message open a call at HP. If you have no error message the problem could be the trapsink entry in the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file.

hope this helps

BPE
ES_mycro
Occasional Advisor

Hi BPE,
thank you for helping.

I discovered this in the error_log file:
/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf: line 18: Unknown token: proxy.
sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

I am sure "Defaults requiretty" is uncommented in sudoers file, so the only thing now is trying to understand why the snmpd does not know the proxy token...
SIT
Regular Advisor

hi

Same problem here since i've migrate my ESX from 3.5 to 4.0 (re-install)
No pb in Esx 3.5 but with VSphere 4.0u1, no test trap received

I've open a call to Hp 2 weeks ago but no solution yet. Case upgrade to level 2

kingston7

Did you get this resolved. I am having the same issues as we speak and its driving me crazy too. I also didnt have any problem with esx3.5 and mgmnt 8.25
SIT
Regular Advisor

Hi

The answer was : Upgrade to HP S6.0 .... but i did not migrate for the moment

It seems that the pb is stil present with 6.0. I think i'm going to re-open the case after migration :((

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

You have to diffrent things which are not working. The test trap is not working because the line Defaults requiretty is disabling the
smh from using the sudo function.
You can change the Defaults for the hpsmh user
as displyed below and it will work.
########### /etc/sudoers extract ############
# Defaults specification
#
# Disable "ssh hostname sudo ", because it will show the password in clear.
# You have to run "ssh -t hostname sudo ".
#
Defaults requiretty
Defaults:hpsmh !requiretty
#############################################

The snmpd.conf error is the second problem.
It looks like a syntax error.
Search for a line with the word proxy
and verify with the manpages of snmpd.conf for possible errors.

ITSCAC
Occasional Advisor

I'm edit sudoers like you say, but in /var/spool/opt/hp/hpsmh/logs/error.log appear next error:

[Wed Aug 04 16:46:05 2010] [error] [client 10.1.6.108] Premature end of script headers: SetSNMPData.cgi, referer: https://10.1.200.7:2381/webagent/lxsnmpconf.php
Password:
[Wed Aug 04 16:46:08 2010] [error] [client 10.1.6.108] Premature end of script headers: SetSNMPData.cgi, referer: https://10.1.200.7:2381/webagent/lxsnmpconf.php.en

It like he want some Password?