Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752795 Members
6101 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Thermal Degraded Action "Shutdown". What does it mean?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Baron

Thermal Degraded Action "Shutdown". What does it mean?

Hi all,

What exactly means the Thermal Degraded Action "shutdown" when it is triggerd. Does this function simply "switch off" the machine, or is the OS signaled to shut down? Do i need a special driver to shut down the OS (W2K3) first?

We use HP Systems Insight Manager and the corresponding drivers on the Servers (DL380G3).

TIA
Uwe
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Page 28 of the "HP ProLiant DL380 Generation 3 Server Maintenance and Service Guide" -

With the Health Driver loaded and Thermal Shutdown enabled in RBSU, the Health Driver performs an orderly shutdown if it detects a cautionary temperature level. If the server detects a critical temperature level before the orderly shutdown occurs, the server performs an immediate shutdown. Additionally, the Health Driver performs an orderly shutdown if the following minimum requirements are not met: one working fan in the I/O zone, five working fans in the processor zone, and one working fan in the power supply zone.
├в With the Health Driver loaded and Thermal Shutdown disabled in RBSU, the server performs an immediate shutdown if it detects a critical temperature level.
├в Without Health Driver loaded, the server performs an immediate shutdown if it detects a critical temperature level.
IMPORTANT: An immediate shutdown is a hardware-controlled function and it overrides any firmware or software ac
Uwe Baron

RTFM?

THX.
ServerEngineer
Occasional Advisor

If you're able to open the System Management HomePage,and if you click on Temperature status, there is a Question Mark which redirects to help. After i found this post, i clicked there and i got a very good explanation about the status and Actions.
It may help..