Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748222 Members
4481 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMWare ESXi 4.0 & HP SIM

Richard Bronkhorst

VMWare ESXi 4.0 & HP SIM

I'm running 8 HP DL360 machines with VMWare ESXi. I used the package found on the HP site that should have the HP agents inside.

I installed HP SIM and it finds all of the machines 3 times:
- One entry of the iLO
- One entry that has the ip address of the vmware host
- One entry that only has a serial number.

All entries indicate good health, even when i pull harddisks and power cables. Only when a host is not reachable, it gives an indication that something is wrong.

How can i enable SIM to notice when some redundancy is lost? Do i need additional agents running in a vmware on each host?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Insight Remote Support > general to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum - HP Forums moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: VMWare ESXi 4.0 & HP SIM

ESXi uses WBEM and there is an HP version that has some additional functionality. ESX uses HP Agents and SNMP.

You do need to subscribe to WBEM events for the ESXi Server within HP SIM.
Richard Bronkhorst

Re: VMWare ESXi 4.0 & HP SIM

Hi rob,

Thanks for your reply.

How can i do this subscribing? In a windows machine, it would detect the WBEM when i ran the 'identify system' process. This does not work for the esxi machines though.

I noticed that on the windows machine, port 5989 is open. In the vmware machines, non of the ports between 5987-5990 are open. Would this mean those HP agents are not running? If that is the case, is there a way to install them?