Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752719 Members
5696 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Which one to use HP SIM or HP Insight System Notifier for server hardware status monitoring ?

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Which one to use HP SIM or HP Insight System Notifier for server hardware status monitoring ?

Hi,

Which one to use HP SIM installed in one management server or HP Insight System Notifier installed manually in every servers for hardware status monitoring to monitor hardware status in datacenter with 150 physical Proliant servers and 50+ remote sites using WAN connection (MPLS) ?

Best regards,
5 REPLIES 5
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Which one to use HP SIM or HP Insight System Notifier for server hardware status monitoring ?

Hello,

The easiest way to set theis up would be that you configure the SIM to email you the events. One very large advantage to this is that you collect your events in SIM and you can filter wich events you want to forward. On a local forwarder on every server you would have to configure every server and you might have to add these server to allow for relaying.

Believe me you don't want every event that the agents sees.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Re: Which one to use HP SIM or HP Insight System Notifier for server hardware status monitoring ?

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew.

So in this case by using HP SIM installed from (SIM_7.4_Z7550-96078.ISO) HP SIM can scan the server regularly for any events using SNMP ?

do I need to install anything or something so that HP SIM can scan or gather the hardware report status ?

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

You configure the monitored servers to send traps SNMP or WBEM. so as soon as the event get's forwarded to the SIM server you create a rule for the events to get emailed. You can configure wich events to forward and you have a centralized place where you can oversee your events from all of your servers

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hi Andrew,

it seems that using SNMP is more complex to configure in both remote server and the HP SIM side. my servers are all Windows and VMware ESXi so I guess, WBEM is the way to go here. So that I don't need to worry about configuring the component in each of the servers.

am I correct ?

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Yes you are correct, WBEM is the least work and the savest since SNMP is V1 SNMP and this an be sniffed easily from your network . Only devices like switches ect should and can only use SNMP.

Kind regards,

Andrew