4909 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Console Monitor

Joe White
Frequent Advisor

HP Console Monitor

Hi,
I've pulled an HP C1099A console monitor from one of our HP systems to start up a new SUN server we have. I've set it up as a VT100, 9600 baud, 8/1/N configuration. I have it plugged into the 'A' serial port on the monitor and the server yet I get nothing on the screen but a line at the top and the column/row indicator. There's no indication I'm communcating with the server. Anyone ever run into this?
4 REPLIES 4
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Console Monitor

Hi Joe

I havent tried it but the setting shouls be simple , try the following :

1. 7bits odd parity and i stop bits .

2. I trust that the cable is working ie rx and tx are interchanged.

3. Try stuff like cr+lf and some other emulations though vt100 is a pretty standard one.

Manoj Srivastava
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Dear Joe,

VT100 mode is fine for the SUN. I suspect you have a wiring problem. HP server serial ports are wired to look like a DCE and a terminal connects with a straight through cable. I am not sure but many non-HP systems had serial ports wired as DTE (which is correct really). See if you can use an RS232 breakout box to cross lines 2 & 3. Other than that use a SUN cable.

Rothery
Sameh Roufail
Occasional Advisor

Hello Joe,
I believe that the problem in the serial cable. You need to have a null modem cable to connect the HP terminal to Sun Server. As the HP serial cable has pin 2 and pin 3 are reverse but the null cable is stright.
I hope that will help
Sam Roufail
Mission Critical
Support Engineer
sroufail@orascom.com
Joe White
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the responses guys. It was a wiring problem. I had a 'straight through' cable instead of the serial version of a cross-over where pins 2 and 3 are reversed. Everything is fine now.