Servers - General
1753711 Members
4577 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Power Manager 3.1 - Set up email options?

Phillip Escarciga
Occasional Contributor

HP Power Manager 3.1 - Set up email options?

Ok, I successfully setup HP Power Manager 3.1 (thanks for the tips). I like the features that the software offers, such as, ability to receive alerts, based on a selection of events:

Temperature Out of Range, Input Out of Range, Overload, Shutdown Imminent, Battery Failure, Battery Low, Battery Discharged, On Battery, Internal Failure, ect. In addition, you can qualify them into three categories: critical, warning and informational. This way you can decide which event you want to be notified on and who gets notified.

I have two questions though:

1.)In our environment we cannot enable the messenger service (to get broadcasts to our workstations), which is needed to get the alerts. So, our other option is setting up notices by email. But there are no details on how to setup email notification other than putting you mail servers I.P address in the SMTP field. Don├в t you have to setup an email account for this service to use?

2.)For the application people out there ├в Since we already use NetIQ is there a way to get it to see these events and notif
3 REPLIES 3
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Phillip,

1) Have the server where HP Power Manager runs on connect to a network where the mail server IP address can be resolved and the correct receiver email address.

2) You may need to set up having HP Power Manager sends SNMP traps to HP Insight Manager 7 and have your NetIQ watch IM7 for events.

Thanks,
Steve
Phillip Escarciga
Occasional Contributor

Steve,

Although the e-mail server resides on a different network segment I can ping the server. Is this what you are referring to? Or do you mean that I have to resolve the FQDN name.

As far as email, we are using Exchange 5.5 and have various NT and W2K3 domains.

This may not matter, but I'm not sure.
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Phillip,

If you can ping the mail server from the machine where HP Power Manager is installed via FQDN, you can specify that in the mail server input field. Otherwise, you will probably need to use mail server's IP address.

I don't think it's really matter what types of mail servers you have on the other end.