1752594 Members
3109 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Rack and Power w/ R6000 UPS

Sanjiv Bhatia
Occasional Advisor

HP Rack and Power w/ R6000 UPS

Just installed Rack and Power Manager version 1.1 on my Windows 2003 servers, they are all connected to via the serial ports to a R6000 UPS, however the software does not detect the ups during automatic discovery is there some configuration I need to do to get the software to see the UPS?
9 REPLIES 9
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Rack and Power w/ R6000 UPS

Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Sanjiv,

FYI, HP Power Manager 4.0 will work with R6000 UPS as well.

Thanks
Steve
Sanjiv Bhatia
Occasional Advisor

Tried these suggestions same problem, do I need a driver for the UPS?
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

No, you don't need any driver to use with HP Power Manager software. Try to move the serial card to a different slot. Note there are 2 serial ports on the back on the UPS. You should be connecting to port 1. Also, make sure the serial cable part number is 295245-002.

Thanks
Steve
thomas stilinovich

we have power management 4.0 and have the same problem - using the embedded serial port so switching ports is not an option. we have tried disabling the CLI on Com1 and virtual serial port in RBSU - please let me know if this problem gets resolved as we now have 3 servers/UPS's in the same boat.
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

From HP Power Manager 4.0 Users Guide...

Unable to Discover the HP UPS R6000
Action:
1. Verify that the baud rate for the serial com ports on the UPS R6000 are
configured to at least 9600 baud.
2. Verify that the correct serial cable is used to connect the UPS to the
computer.

To configure the baudrate of the COM port, user the front panel and select "System Setup"->Communication Setup->Serial Port x

The serial cable used for R6000 is different from cables used for other HP UPS. Verify that the cable part number is identical to the number being referenced in previous posting.

Thanks
Steve
Andrew Jones_5

can you confirm the pinout of the R6000 serail lead (295245-002).

I need to patch through structured cabling and need to configure an adapter.
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

This reply might be too late but try forcing the baud rate of the UPS to 19200 if it is not already. I believe this can be done through the front panel of the UPS.
Daniel Mellor
Occasional Advisor

Just to expand on this a little, by upgrading the Firmware to Version 1.01A I was able to establish communications between my W2K Server and R6000 UPS.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15992.html

However, my UPS has a 2 Port Comm card, and an additional 2X 3 Port Comm Cards. Communication with the 2 Port Comm card is fine as the firmware has been updated, however, I need to use the SubModule option in the FLash Utility to update the remaining 2x 3 Port Comm cards - but I don't know how!

Any Ideas?