Servers - General
1752334 Members
6013 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP UPS Management Module Comms Fails with Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Skerman
Occasional Advisor

HP UPS Management Module Comms Fails with Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)

I have an R3000 XR UPS with a UPS Management Module communicating via network IP addresses with remote agent 5.0 on all my servers.

The connection is fine for all servers except for a 2008 R2 64bit server. (All other servers are 2003 and 2008 32 bit.)

I have opened Inbound TCP port 3573 on the 2008 R2 server.

I can get the connection to work if I turn off the firewall on the 2008 R2 server. And the connection then appears to continue ok if I then re-enable the firewall. But I can never establish a connection with the firewall on.

Suggestions?

The support doc "HP R3000 XR UPS - HP UPS Management Module Communication fails with Windows 2008 R2 64bit andRemote Agent 5.0"
does not seem very helpful.
Eg. There is no "Option Features" for the Power Protection Agent.

See:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=au&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=255222&prodTypeId=3447589&prodSeriesId=255222&objectID=c01983491
7 REPLIES 7
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

I am not familiar with the Management Module, but suspect that you also need to open another port which is needed for the connection. Look at netstat on the server to find out which port it is.
Unix operates with beer.
Greg Skerman
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Viktor

I've tried both netstat and the TCPView sysinternals utility.

Port 3573 is the only port I can see associated with the remote agent service (DevManRA.exe) Which would suggest that opening inbound TCP port 3573 should work. But I still cannot ever establish an initial connection with the firewall enabled. Once connection is established with the Management Module, communication happily continues on port 3573 with the firewall re-enabled.

sszyman

Folks,, any updates to this issue?
Greg Skerman
Occasional Advisor

No progress I'm afraid. I'm still manually dropping the firewall after a reboot to let the management module reconnect, then raising the firewall again.
EdwardD
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Hello,
I had similar problems with communication and W2K8 R2 firewall. What I observed from firewall logs, that ICMPv4 communication from UPS management module to mentioned windows server with UPS agent was dropped. On other server, where ICMPv4-in was allowed by use inbound "File and Print sharing" rule, everything worked fine. So I enabled "file and print sharing" rule with ICMPv4 protocol from inbound rules management page (don't forget profile, where your server actually operates or select all profiles option), and after about several minutes, agent communication begins to work. Of course,as alternative, you can create additional dedicated inbound rule for ICMPv4in from your UPS management card address to agent server and don├в t use already prepared rules that are dedicated for other purposes. And , of course, mentioned in guide inbound rule with local TCP 3573 port should appear. Regards. Edward.
Greg Skerman
Occasional Advisor

That's the solution Edward - thank you.
Greg Skerman
Occasional Advisor

Edward D's reply is the solution to the issue. In my case, I just chose to enable the predefined inbound rule:
"File and Print Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)"