New Discussion юеВ

Re: Re : HP R3000XR UPS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Re : HP R3000XR UPS

Hi,
Can anyone help, I have a R3000XR UPS with a 6 port serial management card. I use two port to connect to a Rp3440 and a Rp3410. The Two Rp are running on HPUX 11.11 And lansafe III is install on the server. Assuming one server is name hp1 and the other is hp2. I manage to run ls3X and I can see the GUI screen for hp1 but when I do a search on the network, even though it can find hp2 but I cannot connect to the GUI screen, it prompt ups not supported? Please advice

Regards
Vincent
nothing is better than to know more
8 REPLIES 8
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

The fact is that only HP Rack System/E series UPS-es are supported on HP-UX.
R3000 XR for HP-UX is J4367A - a modified original R3000 XR with mounting rails
for Rack System/E and probably modified firmware. None of optional cards are supported with HP-UX version of the UPS.

If you have 192186-xxx R3000 XR UPS (ProLiant's version), the UPS may not work correctly with HP-UX.

Regards,
Zygmunt
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the info, the part number I have for the R3000XR UPS is J4367A and the part number for the six port card is 192185-B21. Please advice if it is truth that this card cannot be use on HPUX.

Regards
Vincent
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

J4367A will NOT offer or support the Compaq options:
- HP Six Port Card (model number 192185-B21)
- HP SNMP/Serial Port Card (model number 192189-B21)
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Hi Vincent,
look at the spec:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11724_div/11724_div.HTML

The only accesories for for the Rack System/E UPS-es are ERM Modules.

Regards,
Zygmunt
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi,
Than how can I configure the two Rp servers to the R3000XR UPS, Please advice with steps??

Regards
Vincent
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Vincent,

First I would recommend you to consider using HP Power Manager 3.2 which supports HP-UX 11i. You may only be able to use 3 even-numbered out of 6 ports in the 6-port card. For your configuration:
1) Make sure that you have the latest firmware 1.09 for your R3000XR UPS avaible from the download page at http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/hard-firmware.html
2) Connect one HP-UX server to port 2 and the other to port 4. Install HP Power Manager 3.2 Management Server into each of the server. You will need to configure the power shutdown settings on each server individually.
3) Each HPPM management server connected to an even-numbered port will see 1 load segment (seems as entire UPS) although it is mapped to a physical load segment of the UPS. For example, port 2 maps to LS# 1 of the R3000XR, port 4 to LS# 2 and port 6 to LS#3. Therefore, HPPM in this configuration will shutdown the mapped load segment, not entire UPS (ie. each load segment to be viewed as "logical UPS" is used and controlled independently via separate instances of HPPM)
4) For the R3000XR UPS, in order for the entire UPS to shutdown, all 3 of its load segments need to shutdown. If you are only using 2 ports (mapped to 2 load segments), you will need a utility http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18896.html to map LS2+LS3 together so that the entire UPS will shutdown when LS1 and LS2+3 shutdown.

Thanks,
Steve
Dejan Donovski
Occasional Advisor

Hi Everyone,

I have the same problem, 6 port serial card,
and same UPS. I found a warning sheet inside
the UPS package that it does not support
6 port serial cards and the SNMP card.

It is not quite clear from the replies if this
card will work with this UPS but is not supported or it wont work at all.
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

The lastest HP Power Manager 4.0 supports both the 6 port card and SNMP card using on the R3000 XR. You can download the software and view the latest support matrix at http://www.hp.com/products/ups under "Software->HP Power Manager" page. Please refer to my previous posting on this same thread for installing/configuring the software.