4368 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Secure WEb console and blank screen

John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Secure WEb console and blank screen

Andy,

It's not a stupid error, our operations staff does it to me ALL THE TIME!!! Then when they call with a problem saying the box is down and I access the SWC, it drives me crazy trying to figure out why even the GSP will not respond. Then I remember and have them go out to check the cable.

This happens at least once a month.

John
Spoon!!!!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just a note about troubleshooting. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Since the web console page was displayed and the terminal window opened without any errors, the first thing zi would assume is that the console port is not working, so I would connect a dumb terminal and see if there was a prompt. Of course, there are two cables for all serial connections and only 50% work. I always keep 9pin and 25pin adapters and a null modem adapter to test these situations.

I would not use a PC as a dumb terminal unless you have used it successfully as a terminal in the past. When you use a PC and don't get a prompt, you now have two complex computer systems and cables to debug.

Finally, a software error may have disabled the console prompt so you won't see the login request. However, the service processor is always active on most newer servers, so CTRL-B should get you some text on the screen.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Patricia A. Moss

I'd like to ask more questions on this subject. I am having the same issues as Andy. I can connect, but I get this blank console. I followed all of the suggestions and nothing has worked yet. My concern is this. I believe that the card, that is supposed to be installed, is either not installed or not working. Since it is an internal card, I can't attach a console to the port.
I do have an 8 port Arula, that I attached to the server and that seemed to work fine. That was on a different port though. I'm all kinds of confused. If the internal port were not working, would I have been able to configure it, at all?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pati
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Try the reset of GSP in your server.
Patricia A. Moss

What is GSP?
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Pati,

Start a new message with your question, it'll get more replies....

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die