Servers - General
1752794 Members
5769 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Transfer a working Fiber Channel HBA to another Machine. (SAN Infra Related)

Arnel101
Occasional Contributor

Transfer a working Fiber Channel HBA to another Machine. (SAN Infra Related)

Brothers,

I would like to seek out your views about my case:

I am planning to transfer my Working HBA Emulex Fiber Channel PCI Card from 1 Server Machine to Another Machine.

Why: I want to prove a theory with your inputs about a situation. Concerning transfering an Active HBA  from a Defective Server System which currently connected to SAN Environement to another Working Server System cutting the down time to several hours.

Situation: First Server Fail's with a Hardware Board System Failure,  currently connected to SAN Environement. To save time I am planning to rebuild a separate Server System with exact profile from the defective Server (OS, Patches, etc.) and then transfer the HBA Card to the new Server. I have Extra Server machine but I only have 1 HBA FC Card for this case.

Aim: Avoiding re-Zoning, by using existing Zoned HBA Card (WWN Address) to another Server System and from that point re-scan all assigned disk and finally Systems Up and running.

Need your inputs about this matter.

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Transfer a working Fiber Channel HBA to another Machine. (SAN Infra Related)

Hi,

As per current situation, we have to all blow factors

1. What is the external storage?
  2. How the zoning done here?

3.What is the FC switch?

From the FC HBA card end , you can move FC HBA card  any supported server.it will be no any issue. I would like to suggest you involve switch vendor for more clarification.

Please let me for further query.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Arnel101
Occasional Contributor

1. What is the external storage? ---- HP 3PAR
  2. How the zoning done here? ----- Good and working fine and no issue on that direction. 

3.What is the FC switch?----- HP StorageWorks - Brocade.

The same thing that I am hoping that transfering the HBA will not have any issue to any new System and the good thing on doing so is that the Zoning is already implemented.

SAN Fabric Swithces (Zoning Coverage) are not particularly dependednt to OS Host or Server IP Address but to the WWN port of the Initiator and the Destination so. I belived it will work perfectly.

Regards, 

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hi,

Thank you for reply.

Please let me know for further query.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo