108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Why no forum for UPS's ??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Re: Why no forum for UPS's ??

The A3589A is a HP PowerTrust 5.5KVA UPS Manager II product that is no longer sold. It has been replaced by newer technology.

User Guides should have been shipped with the equipment. So those may be the only guides remaining for this equipment.

The guides I posted above are also still current for the PowerTrust II.

If this had been current documentation, additional user guides can be ordered through our Parts division: 800-227-8164.

You can check online or order online, these same guides. http://partsurfer.hp.com I mentioned previously that the 5.5VA UPS is no longer sold but if you search for the keyword "powertrust" in the "Enter an HP Product Number or Name" field, you will see all the remaining Powertrust manuals which are still available.

The link that you provided in your last message, is a copy of hp part number A3329-90002 which is an internal only document.
Cheryl
"Downtime is a Crime."

Thanks Cheryl for the links and information, on which I understand is a discontinued model. The links might be helpful and you have clearly gone to some trouble to find them.

It is interesting to compare the policies of HP and Sun in providing documentation on older products. Should I so wish, I can obtain from Sun's web site, free downloads of user manuals and even service manuals for machines as old as the SPARCstation 2, which was introduced 13 years ago and ran at a blistering 40 MHz.

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/Workstation_Products/Workstations/SPARCstation_Workstations/index.html

Clearly once Sun have produced a user manual in electronic format, it is quite easy for them to make it available on a web site. I wish HP would do likewise - it would save people a lot of hassle if a manual gets misplaced, or an item is bought used.

Thanks once again for all your trouble.

Dr. David Kirkby

Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor
Solution

It is good that you raised this issue in the forums because the forums have such high visibility. Other community members have certainly faced the same issues and will appreciate the thread.

Your feedback is most welcome also. There is a "Contact HP" link at the top (left) of this page. Anytime you have feedback like this, you are more than welcome to use that link also, so that the proper HP teams are made aware of your needs.

I have already done so on your behalf, in an effort to provide a documentation archive for issues like this.

Best Wishes,
Cheryl Griffin
"Downtime is a Crime."

Thanks Cheryl.

I've done as you suggested and submitted my points via the 'contact HP' As you say the lack of documentation seems to bother others too. There were more than twenty posts in another forum related to this same UPS. And I'm sure it happens with other equipment too.

Often when considering making a purchase, one would like to look at the user manual first. I just looked at the web page for your Itanium servers and again can find no user manual, whereas I could certaily find user and service manuals for the latest machines from Sun. Having used your Itanium servers I'm very impressed with them, but would still like to view the user manual for deciding on which model or configuration.

All the best, thanks so much. You have been most helpful.

Dr. David Kirkby PhD.

I'm not sure if this was a result of hitting the 'Contact HP' as Cheryl suggested or not, or as a result of me trying n million other attempts to get some information, but I recived the following email from support@atl.hp.com on the 2nd of December:

> RE: 3204046838
> FR: walter_bridges

> David,

>For support on Power Trust go to website
>http://hprtnt06.grc.hp.com/usv/PowerTrust/powertrust_servicenotes.htm

There are two problems with this.

1) I can't open the link - or even get to the website http://hprtnt06.grc.hp.com

2) I seem unable to get any response to me pointing out the link is unreachable.

My guess is it's an internal HP link, that's not accessable outside HP, but I can't get that confirmed one way or the other by replying to the e-mail sent to me.

Any suggestions ?

The forums seem the only way to contact HP that do not have a link to /dev/null (sorry, only UNIX users will apprecaite that one).

David Kirkby

Terri Harris from HP did post a reply today, with an attached 257-pages manual, so my problems are now solved.

See

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=285150&admit=716493758+1071174196387+28353475

if interested

Dr. David Kirkby.
Kimberly Ann
Honored Contributor

David,

Thanks for the pointer...I will send along another 'thanks' to Terri on your behalf as well as Cheryl's and mine!

-Dan