9819 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Do I need to partition LUNs before placing them in LVM

Ming Zhao
Advisor

Do I need to partition LUNs before placing them in LVM

Hi,

Based on serviceguar Linux manual, looks I need to use fdisk to partition shared LUNs (for example, EVA LUNs) and set type to 8e before placing them in LVM. Is that true? Can I just placing LUNs device name such as /dev/sda in pvcreate command?

Thanks,

Ming
6 REPLIES 6
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

You could use fdisk to set a base partition type so that to LUNs will never by mistake accessed i.e. during an OS install.
If HP recommends it, it's reasonable to follow that recommendation out of support concerns.

Otherwise pvcreate /dev/rsda should do just fine in my opinion.

(Note I used rsda here, at least in my HP-UX environment pvcreate wants a raw device opposed to vgcreate, etc., I think I remember it was the same on linux.)
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

To use it correctly in Serviceguard, you need to do the fdisk on the lun's first
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

the LUNs need to be created first.
Nothing is Impossible !
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's true, you need to partition the disk, set the partition type, and then run the pvcreate command.

You cannot use /dev/sda, you need to use a partition. You can create just one primary partition and use pvcreate /dev/sda1.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ming Zhao
Advisor

Thanks to all.

After checking LVM how-to, I think for LVM1, we need to use fdisk, but for LVM2, it is not necessary. But this LVM how-to just cover LVM on Linux, not on Serviceguard/LX, so I still not sure if I need to partition LUNs on Serviceguard/LX.

Thanks,

Ming
John Bigg
Esteemed Contributor

It it's required by LVM1 then it's required by Serviceguard/LX. Therefore it's required.