3874 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install and configure SAP BI 700 and oracle in High Availability on Linux

senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Install and configure SAP BI 700 and oracle in High Availability on Linux

Hi All,

We would like to install and configure SAP BI 700 and oracle on Linux in cluster mode...

I have idea about High Availability...This is the first time I am going to configure High Availability...

I have following questions:

1)We have Enterprise license for both Redhat and suse....Which Linux OS is best Redhat / Suse?

2)Can we go with native cluster comes with OS / Do we need to go for third party like service guard?

3)What is the difference between native cluster and third party clusters?

4)Do we need to buy the license for native cluster comes with Redhat and suse apart from Enterprise license? if yes, how much it will cost?

5)Could you please share if you have any cluster configuration docs. / explain step by step..It would be helpful if it is having details from scratch?

6)Could you please share if you have any docs particularly for SAP BI 700 High Availability on Linux?

I need to configure cluster on Redhat using RHCS (RedHat cluster suite)...

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

You really should be looking at SAP installation documentation to find out its requirements and recommendations, instead of just choosing an OS/cluster platform and blindly assuming SAP will run and be supported on it.

1.)
According to RedHat people at local RedHat Technology Forum last week, they're working on a special "RHEL for SAP" release. Apparently the future versions of SAP will be fully certified only on that specific release version. If SAP says they won't support SuSE in the future, go with RedHat.

As you're starting a new deployment, you should be planning for the future as well. You should be asking SAP people questions like: "How long will this version of RedHat/SuSE be supported? What's the roadmap after that? If I deploy X hosts now, what can I do if more capacity is required in the future? Will it be easy to add more nodes, or must I replace the existing nodes with bigger ones?"

2.)
Again, you should check SAP documentation for requirements and recommendations. The scale of your SAP deployment will be important here too: How many SAP hosts are you going to need? 2? 20? 200?!?

3.)
On Linux, native clusters should not interfere (much) with kernel updates; if a third-party cluster includes kernel modules that aren't available as source code, you may have to delay a security update until the cluster vendor has a corresponding updated module available.

4.)
That depends entirely on the conditions of your "Enterprise license". (Not all enterprise licenses are exactly the same.)

5/6.) SAP support documents probably include cluster configuration examples on their recommended configurations and cluster software. Since the SAP license & support is probably going to be the most expensive part of your SAP installation, you should be

MK
MK
Reiner  Rottmann
Frequent Advisor

As most SAP users are faced with these questions, Red Hat wrote a whitepaper for Deploying Highly Available SAP Servers using the Red Hat Cluster Suite:

http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/ha-sap-v1-6-4.pdf

You may find such guides for SLES and Pacemaker or for deploying Veritas Cluster Server as well.