1753637 Members
5714 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MC/Serviceguard on RedHat Linux Advanced Server 2.1

Scott Linden_1
Occasional Contributor

MC/Serviceguard on RedHat Linux Advanced Server 2.1

Has anyone installed MC/Serviceguard on RedHat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 (kernel 2.4.9). All the documentation I have found specifies RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2)

We want to use MC/Serviceguard to cluster an Oracle 9i database on RedHat. Oracle 9i is only certified with RedHat Advanced Server.

I am unable to find a deadman timer kernel patch for kernel 2.4.9. Serviceguard on Linux requires the deadman timer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott Linden
14 REPLIES 14
I_M
Honored Contributor

Hi

Currently HP provide MC/SG for Linux on RH7.1 ONLY, as of 28/Sep. 2002.
Even if you find the deadman patch, still cmcld depends on the kernel version.
So what you can do is wait the next version or go with RH7.1.

Good luck

Roberto_30
Frequent Advisor

Hi Scott.
You can use Red Hat 7.2 and Lifekeeper.
It's certified with Oracle 9i.

You can look at
http://www.steeleye.com/products/supported_apps.html

Hope this can help you.

Roberto
Scott Linden_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to everyone for there help and suggestions.

We are trying to stick with Serviceguard since we are using it for all of our HP clusters.

I did find out that the deadman timer was written and supported by HP, so there is no source code to be had.

Sounds like the next revision of MC/Serviceguard for Linux will support Red Hat Advanced Server, so I will just have to be patient.

Scott
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

Check out http://www.compaq.com/solutions/enterprise/highavailability/linux/index.html

The toolkit for Oracle 9i is not available, but if you are a current Serviceguard user, you may be able to develop your own package definitions
I_M
Honored Contributor

Hi

I found HP release new version of MC/SG for Linux. The base OS is RedHat 7.3 or RedHat Advanced Server 2.1.

Take a look at
http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/highavailability/ar/mcserviceguard/infolibrary/sq_linux_ww_datasheet.pdf

Good luck
Laszlo Csizmadia
Frequent Advisor

I have exactly the same problem. Where can I find the deadman timer patch for 2.4.9? Or a loadable module.
Does this already working for anybody?

Is the RedHat AS 3.0 better choice in this respect?
Can anybody show me a support matrix for linux/redhat - kernel - serviceguard?

I would appreciate any help/idea.
Thanks in advance.
Cristian Draghici
Frequent Advisor

You should be able to apply the deadman path over any(2.4) kernel.

The deadman is a very very very simple program (just counts from N to 0 and if it reaches 0 calls reboot - 100 lines or less).

A userspace program keeps resetting the counter to N; if the userspace program fails the deadman gets to 0 and restarts (because the system is considered unstable or under tremendous load).

Of course if you mess up with the kernel your MC service guard install will probably be not supported. If you can live with that, just apply the patch, the deadman should compile fine on any 2.4 kernel.

Good luck
Cristi
Laszlo Csizmadia
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Cristian!
But where can I download the patch to keep my MC/SG install supported? Or is there any "HP made" kernel?
After all this is a supported commercial product and the vendor needs to provide this module if not included in the standard kernel tree.

What will happen if I comment out the these lines in /etc/init.d/cmcluster.init? Will SG work properly?
Cristian Draghici
Frequent Advisor

On the service guard CD they have kernel sources along with the deadman patch (and with install guides, documentation, etc).

If you need support you would just wait for MCSG to arrive on the RHAS platform. When that happens you buy the MCSG for RHAS and you get a CD with the kernel source and patch that you need.

If you run a MCSG install without the deadman module I can only assume that would a machine become unstable/hang the MCSG would not be able to shut it down and move packages to a different node(so you would have a HA system that is not HA :-)). But this is just a BIG assumption, I have no idea how it really behaves.