1752584 Members
4093 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Node names

Nikolay Bonchev

Node names

Hi,
Our customer have a two-node cluster (DL580 with SUSE9),EVA4000 and Serviceguard.They will use Oracle E-Business suite. On a first node is DB, on a second APP. Everything was fine until from software company said that it's need server name to be the same on 2 nodes. Only in this case the EBS will work on 2 nodes.
Can i configure 2 nodes with identical nodenames.What'll happen with SG.

Nikolay
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Node names

What they mean by nodenames, the hostname returned by the "hostname" command or the hostname resolved by DNS? You can use a common hostname for a floating ip address (that is moved from host to host in a failover situation).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Nikolay Bonchev

Their application use a hundred modules with dozen of scripts and bynari files. All sort of these scripts use physical server name. To be possible start this application on second server they want the physical name of server to be identical with name on a first server.
Can i made 2 node cluster through SG from servers with identical physical names.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

no, I believe you cannot do this
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Andrew C Fieldsend
Respected Contributor

From your description, it seems as though this may be an application which can't be clustered using ServiceGuard.

There are a few restrictions documented in the SG manuals, and applications which don't meet these aren't suitable for use in SG. I'm fairly sure that one of the restrictions is that the application must not get the hostname directly from the server.