StoreEasy Storage
1753797 Members
7574 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL100 rebuild problem

Pierre Christen

Re: DL100 rebuild problem

Thanks phykell for your advice, I didn't realise that.

JYP, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions..
Seems I will also have to buy a proper HP USB DVD-Rom.
I will follow your advice.

Encore merci !
Pierre
peyrache
Respected Contributor

yes you need to get HP DVD drive in order to restore
JYP
Neil Carpenter
Occasional Advisor

We come full circle :-) I got mine running a month or so ago.

You can put SATA drives directly into the unit without caddies (which seem next to impossible to find economically), and a little bit of wedging will hold them there - but don't obstruct the airflow!

The HP W2k03 restore disc is free, and does the job. *However* the unit and software is really finicky - it will not play nicely (in my experience) unless you have purchased or borrowed the kosher HP USP carrier and DVD drive.

Having spent some months assembling the various bists, I was so glad that 4 250G drives worked I didn't try larger combinations - however, I can tell you that the unit is happily supporting a further ten FC 140G drives as JBOD, so it's a 2.5T server (and supports HD video over 1G ethernet) - so it's not a white elephant by any means.
Darrin Addams_1
Frequent Advisor

Neil, rather than wedge your drives in, the HP DL100 is almost identical to the Dell 745n NAS unit and the caddies are certainly interchangeable. I bought some for mine and they are the same part other than the HP ones having a purple sticker on the left hand side! The Dell caddies are a lot easier to source than the HP equivalents - I got mine from eBay but you can buy them elsewhere I believe.

Hope that helps, and please assign points if it does :)
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

Dell 745n and NP HAS1500s (DL 100) are identical i case shape so U can use Dell parts as spare, the differance is that DELL has CERC6 (6x SATA) raid inside.
When you are giving points It's like saying Thank You :-)
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

Can U give me your hdd geometry i;m trying to recover WSS on NAS1500 but after making RAID 0 with 4x250GB drives my Volumin has only 966GB. Please tell me what kind of wrives you used to recover from QR.
Darrin Addams_1
Frequent Advisor

Probably worth adding that the HP and Dell cases sides are different so, for example, the mounting rails are not interchangeable which is a shame as the Dell ones are easy to find, unlike the ones for the HP.
Darrin Addams_1
Frequent Advisor

Another thing worth mentioning is that I've got a Dell 745n and after having to go through the restore process for one of those (very difficult to source the correct setup disks and then find a suitable USB key and prepare it correctly), the HP restore process is relatively painless!
Lord Pit
Frequent Advisor

I had Dell 745n but coudn't find any recovery disks, so i exchanged it for NAS 1500. The process will be easy if i get all parts wright.
peyrache
Respected Contributor

seems for me correct size of Data disk after complete rebuild with 4X250G disk
what are you looking for
JYP