New Discussion юеВ

Re: I cannot migrate all my SQL Bases to AIO1200

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joffre B
Advisor

I cannot migrate all my SQL Bases to AIO1200

Hello,

I have a NAS - All In ONE 1200, and I want to migrate all my SQL Data Bases, aprox 27 bases.
Every time that I migrate one base, the AIO generates 2 Logical Volumenes in the SQL Server ( one for data and another for log). So, for each logical Volumen the SQL server OS Win 2003 assigns a leter ( example PRODUCTION.DATA = volumen H, and PRODUCTION.LOG = volumen G). The problem is that, I have reached the Z letter, migrating aprox. 12 bases, and I cannot continue migrating any more base.

Anybody knows how to resolve this issue.?

Thanks,
Joffre B
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

When you have more Units than letters, you need to start using mount points. Check:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323967

For instructions about how to use mount points.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Also Joffe, I see in your profile:

"I have assigned points to 3 of 18 responses to my questions."

Please keep asigning points.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Joffre B
Advisor

Thanks, Ivan

I have already treated using mounting point, but it does not work at all, because after moving the volumenes and restarting the SQL server, the bases becomes to suspect. And, when a changed back to the orignial letter it becomes ok
David Straw
Valued Contributor

Joffre,

The next version of All-in-One Storage Manager (ASM) will support mount points, and thus will allow more volumes.

When you say the database becomes suspect, do you mean that SQL Server has a warning/error on the database or that ASM has a warning/error?

It is possible in SQL Server to point to the new location (mount points), but ASM will report the database as missing. This means your databases would still be hosted on the AiO1200, but you wouldn't be able to monitor their storage from ASM until the next version is available.

Let me know if you would like instructions for pointing SQL Server at the new location.

David
Joffre B
Advisor

Thanks David,
I have already try with the new AIO Release v 1.30. will it be another one?.

In the other hand, after change the migrated base ( log and data) to a mount point ( Example c:\base1_data; c:\base_log), if I Check in the ├В┬иSQL Server Enterprise Manager├В┬и snap in; in the SQL server, the base that I moved to a mount point, shows up as ├В┬иsuspect├В┬и and inside the folder, there is no items to show.
At the same time, in the ASM there is a warning, and the description says: ├В┬и This database is not in a functional state -- 0 ├В┬и.

Could you explain in more details the last part of your comments, how to change the mount point in the SQL server of a migrated base ?? , it could be the solution.

Thanks again.
Joffre
David Straw
Valued Contributor
Solution

Joffre,

ASM will be able to properly handle and create mount points in the next release (in the version after the one that shipped with AiO 1.3).

Here is the way to tell SQL Server 2005 to point to the new file location:

1) Detach the database
a) Open Enterprise Manager
b) Navigate to the local SQL Server instance
c) Expand "Databases"
d) Right-click the desired database and select "All Tasks" > "Detach Database..."
e) Click OK

2) If you have not already done so, remount the volumes that contain the database data as mount points

3) Attach the database
a) Right-click "Databases" and select "All Tasks" > "Attach Database..."
b) Click the ellipsis (...) button and browse to the primary data file of your database
c) Any other data files and log files should be automatically added to the list
d) Manually edit the paths of the additional data files and log files to point to the correct locations
e) Click OK

If you are running SQL 2000, the concepts should be the same, but the specific actions might be a little different.

I hope that helps.
David
Joffre B
Advisor

Excellent, David
It solved my problem

Thank you very much

Joffre B.