1751809 Members
4832 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up my Proliant ML110 server with new drives

CA1483680
Occasional Advisor

Setting up my Proliant ML110 server with new drives

I've never set this server up before. I need to install a new set of drives, and set up server 2003 outside operating hours and then return the current set until I have it rebuilt.
This PAM array worries me. It has several "Sets" that can be defined. I just want to make sure I don't make the current set unuseable.

My question is, Do I define another set (after installing the two drives, in place of the existing drives) and the server marks them as a raid set?

Can anyone guide me through this installation enableing me to keep my current set working?
6 REPLIES 6
peyrache
Respected Contributor

what do you need to do
rebuilt system ?
normally quick restore dvd will do the job for you (create array and lun then restore system image)
JYP
CA1483680
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I need to rebuild. This server2003 install was a upgrade/migration from 2000 and things don't work quite correctly. The built-in firewall doesn't exist, plus much more.
I want to rebuild, but still have the original drives to put back in until the new os is tested completely.
peyrache
Respected Contributor

is it a Proliant ML110 storage server ?
if yes, quick restore dvd will do all jobs for you
JYP
CA1483680
Occasional Advisor

Ok. Lets recap because I don't think your reading my initial post.

I want to Keep my existing raid setup and drives.

I'm going to remove them and use another set of drives to build another drive set, and return the old set during business hours.
I don't have a restore cd/dvd, since this was migrated over from win server 2000.

My question is;
In pam, can I add another raid set?
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi Chris,
I think that the confusion is that this forum is specific to HP NAS (Storage Server) products. It sounds like you have a standard server. That being said, I can't comment specifcally to your hardware (PAM??) but most hardware RAID controllers will write the RAID setup to the disks themselves and do not keep the RAID setup on the controller. Therefore you can move the disks in and out (or replace a bad controller) and the RAID configuration will be ok.
What is the specific hardware you are using?
ML110Gx?
PAM?
RAID Controller (on board FW RAID)?

The NAS (Storage Servers) all come with a Quick Restore DVD which returns the system to a factory fresh mode. The ML110G1 server uses an Adaptec 2410 RAID controller while the ML110G2 Storage Server uses an Adaptec 2610 RAID Controller (HP Branded)

I hope this helps,
JP
CA1483680
Occasional Advisor

Yes, that information does help. I apologize, but I had posted this under the proliant form. Not sure why/how it got here. I will repost in the proliant forum and hope it sticks.