1752790 Members
6521 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory XXX is corrupt and unreadable

jniklas
Occasional Advisor

Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory XXX is corrupt and unreadable

We have a Proliant DL100 storage server (640 GB) with Windows 2003 standard edition (sp2) and we have a problem with corrupt files. We get the following message in event viewer:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 2007-03-19
Time: 13:10:14
User: N/A
Computer: HSBHBGFS
Description:
Application popup: Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory F:\$Extend\$ObjId is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This has happened on various files and folders on our server on several occasions. We have run the Chkdsk several times whith no result.

Does anyone know what could cause this problem? Hardware or software issue?
11 REPLIES 11
peyrache
Respected Contributor

Re: Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory XXX is corrupt and unreadable

hi
do you have any other events, like bad block replacement or others hardware events
JYP
Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Re: Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory XXX is corrupt and unreadable

did checkdisk report anything ?
which options did you use ?
jniklas
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your replies.

No we cannot find any exceptional events regarding hardware issues.

Regarding checkdisk we used the /F option trying to fix the errors. As far as I can tell the checkdisk didn't report anything alarming but I enclose the reports for a second opinion.
peyrache
Respected Contributor

could you post system events and applications please
JYP
jniklas
Occasional Advisor

The log files are rather large so I have to post them separately.

Here is the application log
jniklas
Occasional Advisor

...and here is the system log
peyrache
Respected Contributor

are you installed any service release ?
do you have checked version of antivirus ?
there are lot of event 6 from norton on
several files
are they files corrupted ?
jniklas
Occasional Advisor

I checked a few of the files Symantec was unable to open and they were ok.

We have version 9 of Symantec corporate edition.

The server acts as a file server, print server and backup server whith Backup Exec 10.1 installed on it.
peyrache
Respected Contributor

does V9 support W2003 server ?
did you install any service release for nas ?