9310 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

X1600 292GB System Partition

IS Renewals
Occasional Contributor

X1600 292GB System Partition

Hi,

I have just purchased two X1600 292GB devices (the ones with two 146GB SAS drives in the rear for the system partition). Having turned them on, it appears the good folk at HP have decided to create a 40GB array for the OS to be installed on, leaving ~96GB of unavailable space, un-RAID'd...

It seems daft to have a 96GB 'spare' area for data, when I'm putting many TB in the front for data etc, so does anyone know if I could delete the RAID they've created, create a new one using all the available space on those drives and then use the Recovery System DVD to re-install the OS (on a ~136GB system partition)? Or, does the DVD also set up the silly 40GB RAID as well?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. This thread has been moved from Network Attached Storage (NAS) (Enterprise) to Network Attached Storage (NAS) (Small and Medium Business) - HP Forums Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: X1600 292GB System Partition

Hello Tom,

AFAIK will the recovery DVD setup the logcal drive and array configuration as it's currently configured.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

The latest QR DVD versions will use a larger OS partition without issue and will not reset it back to 40GB.

The key is that if you create your own, make sure the c: OS drive is labeled "System" and I beleive it has to be in a RAID of some sort. This will ensure the QR DVD in the future knows it is the OS drive.

The latest QR DVD that was just released and I highly recommend is located at:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=5697-0379

IS Renewals
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I logged a case with HP in the end, and got the answer that it's possible, but we don't recommend it and the above is true; if you stick to RAID and label it 'System' then the DVD will not over-write the array configuration.
IS Renewals
Occasional Contributor

See above post.