New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1/8 Autoloader on PCIx interface

SOLVED
Go to solution
Franklin Merida
Occasional Advisor

1/8 Autoloader on PCIx interface

Hi All,

Have you ever tried to run an HP SW 1/8 Autoloader on a PCIx HBA??
Have you ever faced any problem with this configuration.

Thanks and best regards,

Franklin
4 REPLIES 4
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Franklin,

HP offers a number of PCI-X SCSI HBAs that have been specifically tested and qualified for use with HP SW 1/8 Autoloaders and Tape libraries. Please refer to page 30 on HP's Enterprise Business Solutions (EBS) Automated Backup Compatibility Matrix at the following link for more information:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/ebs/EBSMatrix-1006.pdf

For stand-alone tape backup compatibility please refer to the 'Tape Backup' section of the HP http://www.hp.com/go/connect website.

Hope this helps,
Russell
Franklin Merida
Occasional Advisor

HI,

Thanks for your quick reply, i forgot to mention that I'm trying to install this autoloader on a PC with an PCI xpress interface.

Best regards,

Franklin
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Franklin, generaly speaking, the 1/8 have a standard interface, until you use a scsi HBA with the right interface you should not have big problems. I have seen it attached to various HBA models without problems

marino
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor

Hi Franklin,

Ok, so you meant PCI-Express, which is denoted as PCI-E or PCI-e for short, which is actually different from PCI-X. Anyway, won't go into the details. The same information I provided before still applies. If you follow the link to the EBS compatibility matrix PDF that I stated above, on page 30 there is a list of SCSI HBAs. The first one, the 412911-B21, is a PCI-e HBA. This is the HBA that HP has tested, qualified and recommends.

From a strictly technical point of view any recent, well designed, SCSI HBA "should" work irrespective of the PCI interface however there are no guarantees that they definitely will. At least with the 412911-B21 that HP recommends you have HP's support.

Russell