StoreEver Tape Storage
1752591 Members
2948 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1/8 G2 960 SAS Autoloader issues

Chris Vanatta

1/8 G2 960 SAS Autoloader issues

Got this device and installed it about a week ago. Installed via an LSI SAS3801X card, HP SAS cable, on a Dell with Windows 2003 Standard SP2. We are using Backup Exec 11D. I think it is build 7170 with SP3. I have loaded the HP drivers and the newest Symantec drivers. I ran the Wizard in BE. In Windows Management the Media Changer shows an HP driver and the Drive shows a BE driver.

I setup my jobs to run using HP2 (media changer) and it will just sit and run but not do anything. I then try to use HP1 (drive)and it does the same thing. Doesn't matter if I even run a simple inventory. My tapes are Maxell Ultrium 3 400/800GB. We do not use barcodes on the tapes.

Anybody got any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

If you are using BE you shouldn't have the HP changer driver installed. If you don't disable Removable Storage Manager Windows will grab the library and lock it when it finds the library after the HP driver is installed. It's possible BE is waiting for the library to become available but RSM has it locked.
Chris Vanatta

Forgive my ignorance but how do you disable the RSM? I am not familiar with HP autoloaders.

I did tinker around some more and I was able to get the device to run an inventory (previously unable to) and so I thought we had the issue resolved. I tried to run the normal job and it says the job is queued. Making headway but not fast enough, if you know what I mean.

Thank you,

Chris
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

There should be lots of documentation on disabling RSM if you do a web search. The quick summary would be to go to computer manager -> services, find removable storage manager, and disable.

For Windows 2003 you should also disable polling of the library and drive but creating a new entry "AutoRun=0" in the registry for the library and tape drive drivers but you probably should focus on getting the basic functionality working first then search on disable polling for further tips on creating the AutoRun registry entry.