Occasional Advisor

Re: 1/8 G2 Autoloader / drive media removal prevented by host

I have the latest Firmware.

Upgrade Autoloader Firmware
Currently Installed Autoloader Firmware 1.30
Autoloader Firmware File

Upgrade Drive Firmware
Drive Firmware Revision D22W

The Problem was fixed for Ultrium 920 SAS, I have an SCSI Drive.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=de&cc=de&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3319912&swItem=co-38806-12&prodNameId=3302377&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Sorry my mistake - I thought we had released the firmware with the fix however I have found that the fix for this issue is in however the firmware containing that fix is still in development for release later this fall.

BE should recover from this error with no impact on the backup other than the annoyance of the error event. Please let me know if it would be possible to wait for the firmware release with the fix.
CA1498917
Occasional Advisor

Hello, I deactivated the notification at the Autoloader first times. What do I have for possibilities as to wait to the new Firmware appear?
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The team is discussing when the firmware will release. Maintenance releases are already scheduled for late fall which would probably be around Nov-Dec depending on the test lab availability but this issue is enough of an annoyance the team is considering an earlier version.
CA1498917
Occasional Advisor

Nov-Dec is a long Time
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Yes Nov-Dec is a long time. Hopefully we can get at least a limited release qualified much earlier.
CA1111280
Advisor

We have the same problem but with the removal of the library magazines:
Library MSL4048 with two LTO3, 920 drives.
Backup Exec 10.1 (10.d).
Library Firmware: 5.70 / 2.40e
Firmware on both drives: D22W

We now have to turn the library off and on again to clear this state and to be able to take out the magazines.
Restarting the Backup Exec services does not resolve the problem.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The removal of the magazines is a similar problem but is not the same as the one discussed here earlier.

Removal of magazines not being allowed is caused by a "Prevent Media Removal" command being sent to the library and is almost always caused by Windows Removable Storage Manager (RSM) running. It's extremely rare for a backup application to send a prevent to the library.
CA1111280
Advisor

The 'Removable Storage' service is not running.
Should I start my own thread about this somewhere else?
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

It would be good to move the magazine removal issue to it's own thread so it can get more visibility.

Some service or software has to be sending the prevent media removal command to the library. If you open this in a new thread can you please describe your environment with information about how the library is connected and the software you are running.