1753406 Members
7285 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1/8 G2 Ultrium 920: Robotic Failure: Code 9B C4

DAN SOHAYDA
Advisor

1/8 G2 Ultrium 920: Robotic Failure: Code 9B C4

I was removing the tapes from the right tray of our autoloader today and once the tray was put back into it this error appeared on the front display. Tapes can no longer be inventoried or seen in the application we use (Symantec Backup Exec).
I tried restarting, re-seating the tape sleds and even putting a sled from another working same model autoloader in the right side, but the error still persists. I found another post here stating that it had something to do with the autoloader being able to read the prism-like segments of the slots in the sled, but after running through the trouble shooting I mentioned above there's not much I can think of. At this point I'm thinking it's something to do with the actual drive mechanism inside the autoloader which I can't obviously check.
I ran the autoloader & drive support to USB options and have 2 unreadable .ltd files. From what I can make out though it does repeat "sled position not found" over and over again.
What else can I do to fix this error code?
Thank you
9 REPLIES 9
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you've gone through some good troubleshooting. The sled position not found error does mean that the picker isn't able to read the little clear plastic prism's at the front of each slot to find it's position.

Are you running the latest firmware? There have been improvements put into the code so that a lot of the time the library can still work in a "limp home" mode where it will be slow but you can still use it until you can get it repaired.

The only additional thing I could think of to try would be to see if you can see into the autoloader and figure out if somehow the optical sensor on the front of the picker got covered up.
DAN SOHAYDA
Advisor

I looked in both sides of the autoloader with a flashlight and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Then I shot some canned air in both sides to see if it might dislodge something which it didn't. Finally I tried the firmware found here; http://tinyurl.com/czb7e6 but the LTO_920_C24W_MSL-G3-Series.frm or MSL_1x8_G2_2.50.frm files did not work showing a failure message. The current firmware on the autoloader is 2.30/1.90n and D22W on the drive. I don't imagine a firmware upgrade will fix this, but it's worth a try at this point.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

How were you trying to update firmware and what was the failure message?

There are 3 options for firmware update with this library but that firmware should work with all of them.

1) Front panel from USB
2) Web interface
3) L&TT http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools

DAN SOHAYDA
Advisor

I was able to update the firmware using the storage works tape library application on the attached server. It is now at 2.50, but the error is still showing up.
Since the device is out of warranty I have a call in to HP about it to see how much it will cost to be repaired since it seems more and more likely to be hardware related.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Just a thought, have you checked the magazines on both sides of the autoloader? Unless you turned of power when you were changing tapes in the right side it's unlikely that the loader would have scanned the left side but it's worth a check.
DAN SOHAYDA
Advisor

There was no loss of power while changing the tapes. Not even HP's StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools app can see the tapes in the sleds.
I ran the Device Analysis test on it and it failed saying "The device status is Failed. A device status of failed is set when an operation has failed and the library was unable to return all tapes to their previous locations."
HP support has not been very helpful, and even accused me of using an IBM RAID controller card because they were reading the wrong support ticket.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that HP support hasn't been very helpful. When failure codes are present they should understand that the HBA doesn't matter most of the time.

Can you post the support ticket here? I don't know if we'll be able to figure out anything else but maybe.

I haven't asked but I assume since the unit was operational for some time that it is correctly mounted in the supplied rack rails or has the standalone feet attached? It's essential that there is no twist or sag in that autoloader or positioning problems (similar to the one you are having) will occur. Note that with that autoloader "sag" occurs at the outside edges when there are tapes loaded and the feet aren't on or the autoloader isn't in the rack rails since the edges aren't properly supported in that case.

Since the unit is out of warranty if you are mechanically inclined you could pop the top and inspect the picker mechanism for anything out of the ordinary like a tape stuck in it. CAUTION - if you do pop the top make certain that you work on a perfectly flat surface and that you carefully reinstall the cover without flexing the chassis. The factory uses an alignment fixture when installing the cover as the chassis can twist when the cover isn't on and then the picker won't be able to operate correctly. The same twisting can occur even after assembly if the autoloader is full up tapes and the unit isn't mounted correctly in a rack or with the supplied feet but in that case the twist isn't "locked in" when the screws are tightened and just mounting it correctly will correct the problem.
AKLee
Occasional Advisor

In case others are having this problem. I started having the same error while changing tapes. Up until then, I have had no problems using the system since purchase last fall. I checked the magazines finding nothing wrong. I updated the firmware(from 2.10 and U20W to 2.7 and U51W) and the error has disappeared. Hopefully, it will not return.
Theo Liakouras

I'm getting the same error here as well

LIB/ERR <80 9B C4 15 02 04 01 02 01 > HE: sled position not found

I can see in the status tab which slots are occupied, but it can't read the labels anymore or move the the tapes from the slots to the drive. Although it moved the tape from Slot 1 directly to the drive on it own after reboot, I can't unload the tape from the drive now.