New Discussion юеВ

1760 SAS tape drive:

SOLVED
Go to solution
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

1760 SAS tape drive:

Hi
I am using MS Windows Server 2003. I have 1760 SAS TAPE DRIVE but i can not use it properly. I have also installed the 60 days trial version of the HP Data Protect Express but not success.
I face the following issues even i have tried to install the software form the web site.
1. Not detecting the Tape, i can not see tape drive in MY COMPUTER
2. I go to Administrative Tools > Disk Management > Removeable Storage, here i was able to found it but with a smal red cross, i have checked the Removeable storage and it was disabbled, i started it.
3. When i use the HP Data Protect software and try to use the Tape , i can not use it, i run the media check test but got error that MEDIAL IS OFLINE or MEDIA is NOT READY.

.... can some one let me know how i can fix it ... also let me know i am not sure if i can see the tape drive in MY COMPUTER or not ? and how i can fix the offline device error message.

9 REPLIES 9
blackhawk_1
Advisor

Re: 1760 SAS tape drive:

Hi Naveed,

1. Install HP storageworks library and tape tools from here:

2. If this software detects the tape drive, it means the connection between host and drive is ok. Run tests on the drrive to see if it throws any errors.

3. Check Device manager > tape drives. The drive should be listed there.

Make sure to update the drive f/w
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I have already installed it and i am able to see the tape under the computer managemet, so the connection is OK. But i have not installed the firmware update that i have installed now.
But after this i try it again, and got the same errors, "Device is not deary" and "Media is ofline or not inserted properly, if it is inserted then may be media is bad".

Any tips form your side will be valuable for me.

Also, let me know how i can access the Tape drive to check if data has been recorded on it ? I mean how i can see the contents of Tape.
blackhawk_1
Advisor

Can you upload a support ticket here ?
You can go to support tab and click on extract device data
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

Hi

I feel sorry as i really not know what which support ticket u r reffering since i have not created any ticket.
Ryan Melling

I had a similar issue with my SAS 'Hotswap' Drive. Make sure your motherboard is compatible with SAS drives. My motherboard is not but XP picks it up. Just a suggestion to check m8.

Ryan
blackhawk_1
Advisor
Solution

Nav, download the software (check link above) on the server connected to the backup device. Run the software and check if that software (library and tape tools) can detect the backup device.

If yes, click on the backup device, go to support tab and click on extract device data, this will generate a support ticket for you.

You can also run tests on the backup device from this tool.

Also, you can log a call with HP support to log a call for this. Here is the support contact details
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

Hi

I tried this as well, the SUPPORT tab is grayed, i can not use it.

Now i can see a small red cross over the tape under the Removeable Storage.
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

Library and tape tool uninstalled and reinstalled as well, but still have problem, here is the attached snapshot indicating the cross on the tape.