1752579 Members
3059 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1x8 G2 Autoloader with Ultrium 920 LTO3 drive, autoloader error F4 98

Forrest Mook
Occasional Advisor

1x8 G2 Autoloader with Ultrium 920 LTO3 drive, autoloader error F4 98

I have an HP 1x8 G2 Autoloader with an Ultrium 920 LTO3 SCSI tape drive. I was having a tape capacity problem so I applied the latest firmware available to both the Autoloader and 920 tape drive in an attempt to fix the problem. After doing so, I am unable to load or use tapes out of the right magazine. Whenever I try to do anything with a tape in Slots 5-8 the drive loads the tape, shows IDLE on the display for a few seconds, then unloads the tape and gives the error "HE: drive load timeout code: F4 98".

Anyone seen anything like this before and know how to resolve the issue? If I could find the older firmware available online anywhere I would try reverting back to an older firmware. The left magazine appears to be functioning properly.

The Autoloader Firmware is 2.80/2.10n
The Tape Drive Firmware is D23W

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Forrest Mook
Occasional Advisor

Just a followup, this seemingly *knocks on wood* has been fixed by rolling back to the old firmware. I worked with HP's Tech support to resolve this issue and we ultimately ended up rolling the autoloader Firmware back to version 2.30/1.90n and it appears to have fixed the issue with my autoloader failing to use tapes from the right-side magazine and giving error F4 98.

So as a summary, here are my results.

Original Firmware before problems with the autoloader occured.
Autoloader 2.30/1.90n
Ultrium 920 Firmware D22W

Firmwares loaded that caused the autoloader to fail with error F4 98 on tapes from the right-side magazine.

Autoloader 2.80/2.10n
Ultrium 920 Firmware D23W

Firmwares loaded that allow my autoloader to properly access and use tapes from the right-side magazine.

Autoloader 2.30/1.90n
Ultrium 920 Firmware D23W

In case anyone is wondering why I was updating the firmware at all, it was an attempt to fix a tape capacity problem detailed in the following thread.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1407608
hafees2010

Hi,

Can you please tell me where can i download

Autoloader 2.30/1.90n
Ultrium 920 Firmware D22W

thomasr
Respected Contributor

Here's a long link for you -- http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=1%2F8+g2+ultrium+920+autoloader&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Click through on the appropriate library, then you can get to your OS, and tehn you'll see both HP Library and Tape Tools (the recommended tool for uploading firmware) and the L&TT firmware bundle.    Or, Library and Tape Tools can directly download the firmware for your devices once it's installed.

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence