1748286 Members
3435 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

1x8 G2 LTO-5 3000 SAS Autoloader disappearing from OS Device Manager

cneboy
Occasional Visitor

1x8 G2 LTO-5 3000 SAS Autoloader disappearing from OS Device Manager

Autoloader: 1x8 G2 LTO-5, firmware 3.9, seen in OS as Medium Changer, HP 1x8 G2 autoloader (x64 based), driver HP 1.9.  Device working properly.

Tape Drive:  Ultrium 5-SCSI, firmware Z58W, seen in OS as Tape drives, HP LTO Ultrium-5 drive, driver HP 1.0.6.2. Device is working properly.

HBA:  Smart Array P411, latest firmware from HP, seen in OS as Storage controller, Smart Array P411, driver HP 6.24.0.64.   Only thing attached to it is the autoloader.

Backup App:  Symantec NetBackup 7.5.0.4.

Issue:

When backing up servers over the network, Medium Changer completely disappears out of the OS Device Manager list, thus failing the job.  Powering off autoloader required for it to be displayed again in Device Manager.

When Medium Changer is listed in OS Device Manager, NetBackup tpautoconf -r confirms that it is present.

When Medium Changer has disappeared from OS Device Manager, NetBackup tpautoconf -r confirms that it is NOT present.

When Medium Changer has disappeared from OS Device Manger, this is in the OS System Event log: 
Drive Array Tape Drive Status Change.  The tape drive in Slot 1, SCSI bus 1, SCSI target 0 has a new status of 5.
(Tape drive status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=degraded, 4=failed, 5=offline, 6=missingWasOk, 7=missingWasOffline)
[SNMP TRAP: 3043 in CPQIDA.MIB]

Requesting help with resolving issue with the device disappearing from OS Device Manager.

3 REPLIES 3
George_S
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1x8 G2 LTO-5 3000 SAS Autoloader disappearing from OS Device Manager

Almost same thing.
HBA SC08Ge used only for Tape Autoloader
TapeDrive and Autoloader upgrade to latest firmware. FW z58W, driver 1.0.6.2
Backup App : Yosemite Server Backup basic.
Started backup, after about 5-10 min of work backup job failed.
Autoloader with tape drive has lost in system devices.
Message on front panel: Drive IDLE
LTT utility not see autoloader at all.
I do reboot autoloader and server. Then i see devices in OS Device Manager.
Try do do backup again and again see FAILED with same symptoms.

Steve_Shippey

Same here, power cycling the autoloader causes it to show in Device manager only to fail later on, using on a P822 HBA with a D2700 attached.  Was working for a while but has just started failing all the time.

Has anyone managed to resolve this?

RWF46552
Frequent Visitor

I have had a similar issue with our Ultrium 3000 1/8 G2 SAS loader using ARCserve Backup under Windows 2008 R2 SP1.  The Autoloader is connected via an HP P212/ZM HBA (listed as supported per the May 2013 EBA).

I went to HP's website, downloaded the latest FW for the Autoloader (mine was 3.90, the new version is 4.10), and flashed the Firmware on the loader.  I'm not too hopeful since the events I saw in my Autoloader's logs indicate either a Firmware fault on the LTO5 drive or an Invalid/unsupported SCSI Parameter:

13.06.01 08:21:54.40 Event - Drive Warn or Crit Tape Alert flag
Event Code: 0x84 - tape alert
Element number: 0x01, 1
Drive number: 0x01, 1
Tape Alert Flag: 0x3A, 58

(This is with the current Ultrium 3000 SAS Firmware, Z58W)

When this happens, Windows reports NT SCSI errors and the ARCserve Migration job dies.