StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

72GB USB Internal Tape backup drive

Highlighted

72GB USB Internal Tape backup drive

I have a few errors coming up in the log on my backup. All come up intermitantly but I would like not to see them at all!
Error 1040 - no devices specified or all devices are offline

Error 51 socket failure

Error 3 Invalid command ( While trying to run cleaning tape)

Many Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: 72GB USB Internal Tape backup drive

It would help to know your OS, backup application, possibly if the drive is SCSI or USB. Give us more details, please!

When you see the error, what makes them go away? Is it one error at a time, or usually (always?) three together?
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Highlighted

Thomasr,

Sorry, that poat was a bit vague!!

It is an Internal USB Drive running under Windows XP Pro and using the Data Advisor software.

The errors appear in the log at different intervals, not all together
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I don't know Data Advisor.

You can use HP's Library and Tape Tools (see the link to download for free from hp.com/go/tape ) and run diagnostics on the tape drive.

I'd also -- maybe even first -- check the USB cable to the drive. Make sure that it's a high-quality cable and on its own USB header, not sharing the channel with another device. Make sure the drive has the latest firmware, and that your server also has the latest drivers for motherboard and USB. Detach the drive, uninstall the device drivers (remove the drive from Windows HW Manager; if necessary, select "show hidden devices"), reload the most recent drivers, and then re-attach your tape drive.

I don't know why the error with the cleaning tape is happening (are you sure the application supports this tape drive?)... on that I'm stumped... but perhaps the above will help. Let me know.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence