1752551 Members
4309 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

72x10 dat autoloader driver hpdatcfg

Frank Rutten

72x10 dat autoloader driver hpdatcfg

Hi,

I'm installing a 72x10 autoloader. The documentation tells me that I need to install an autoloader driver: hpdatcfg.
But it is nowhere to be found!
Could anyone supply me with a link to this file?

(Without this the OS only sees the tape device, not the autoloader)

Thanks.

Frank Rutten
6 REPLIES 6
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: 72x10 dat autoloader driver hpdatcfg

HP StorageWorks DAT Tape Driver Installer
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/tape/TapeDrv/DATTapeDriverInstaller.zip

This utility will automatically install the SCSI and USB drivers for HP StorageWorks DAT tape drives and DAT autoloaders for systems running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows XP.

But.. where do you have connected that autoloader? The fact that media changer is not detected is usual when an autoloader is connected to a RAID controller.
Frank Rutten

Thanks for your response.

The autoloader is connected to an HP Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI G2 Host Bus Adapter, in a Proliant DL380 G4 server. No other devices are attached to this adapter.

The OS, Windows 2003 server, sees a HP Dat72 tape device, but not the autoloader.

Installation manual says you need 2 drivers: hpdat (for the tapedevice) and hpdatcfg for the autoloader.

I hope that driver will solve the issue. I've read some post about the fact that LUN0 and LUN1 are used by the DAT 72x10 autoloader and that the HBA must support LUN scanning, which it does.

I also installed the HP Storageworks Library and Tape Tools, but it shows just a DAT72 tape device on LUN0, not an autoloader.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes, that SCSI controller is the recommended one for all HP tapes and autoloaders, it should work OK.
The fact that L&TT does not detect the media changer it's worrying. The cabling is very simple I don't think there's any mistake there.
Frank Rutten

Yes, we bought this HBA especially for the autoloader.

I used the tool you suggested, but to no direct effect. One way or another I did manage to select a different driver in Windows Device manager: Dat72 autoload tape drive.
Not that this helped, HP tape tools and my backup software (Symantec Backup Exex) still see only the tape drive (C7438A) instead of the autoloader (374654-B21).

I have tested making backups to tape, and that works fine, so the cable connection and termination seems fine. But I have to manually mount and dismount tapes, which is not what I had in mind when I bought this autoloader :-)
Frank Rutten

Hi,

just to let you know: the problem is solved.
Turned out to be a bad SCSI cable....
Thanks for the support!
Frank Rutten

A new SCSI cable did the trick!