1748136 Members
3536 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A7137A and Ultrium 960

RDiaz_1
Occasional Advisor

A7137A and Ultrium 960

Do I require a reboot if I change my scsi rate from U320 to U160 on my mpt device file pointing to my Ultrium 960 in the mptutil and are there any additional modifications needed to be made when performing online? e.g. insf -e
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor

I would say no. The A7137 support guide in http://docs.hp.com/en/J6373-90030/J6373-90030.pdf talks about "Online configuration" in page 40.

Why would you change the speed? The U320 is backward compatible with U160 or older. Are you having any issues with the devices?
RDiaz_1
Occasional Advisor

The reason we want to change the speed for the customer is because he is getting an error on 3 bytes or less transfers and his backups are getting i/o errors. This is a known issue that a future rev of fw is going to address. Recommend is to change the rate to U160. I was able to change the speed on a box and found that it'll update the parameter instantly with the mptconfig command. I guess now I'm wondering will this default back to U320 if I reboot the server. Too bad I can't reboot the server I did the scsi rate change on earlier or I would have my answer.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I was able to change the speed on a box and found that it'll update the parameter instantly

Did it fix the errors?

> will this default back to U320 if I reboot

I am willing to bet that no. These settings are soft switches but they reside in NVRAM and should be immune to reboots. And based on the reason for having these settings they should not get reset during the reboot even by the HBA driver.

If you are unsure and can not reboot at this time you can put the mptconfig command in a startup script to force U160 during boot up.
RDiaz_1
Occasional Advisor

-Yes, it did fix the errors. The backup has a 3 byte trailer at the end, and after making the recommended chage from HP backline to U160 the i/0 errors where not experienced anymore and backup was successfull.

Thank's for you're help. Also, If I'm able to get a box to test this on and reboot I will update this thread.